[comp.os.msdos.apps] MS-WORD and mouse

felixc@cbnewsj.att.com (felix.cabral) (02/19/91)

This article has two parts to it. The first is with a setup problem
using word for windows and the second is a request for info on diagnostic
hardware for the PC.

First:
I discovered a peculiar problem during the setup of word for windows.
If my Logitech mouse drivers are loaded (ie menu, click and mouse.com)
I get a garbled video display somewhere near my last floppy being installed.
Somehow the driver, whichever it is, interferes with  the setup program
that is used to install word. I didn't try to figure out which driver in
particular but I do know it happens all the time when the drivers are loaded.
I can best describe what happens by telling you its much like displaying
a two inch wide window that spans the entire verticle screen (2X25). In that
window I get some kind of dump which resembles the instructions being executed
by the setup program. However, the system locks up soon after the window
is opened. BTW, once loaded it works ok with the drivers!

Anybody know what is going on , or has anyone else seen this problem?

Second:
I would like to know what are the best, least expensive diagnostic boards
for the PC. There are a few I seen which plug into an expansion slot and
allow you to troubleshoot the system hardware and boot programs using a
menu driven interface. Also, are these really needed or can the same thing
be done reliably with software utilities. One advantage of using the boards
is you don't need DOS to check the hardware. Another advantage is you don't
need a monitor since there are code leds which display hex values.

--
Felix Cabral         {felixc@mtgzz.att.com}      "Just give me a rad
AT&T Bell Labs       {  att!mtgzz!felixc  }       wave, a rad board and

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/19/91)

I can't explain the problem, but WORD does not need ( or use) the
logitech driver.
Try deleting this from your config.sy / autoexec.bat file before running setup.
My experience is that the setup program will not auto detect the mouse,
so you'll have to
not accept the default installation at that stage.
Clarence Wilkerson

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (02/20/91)

felixc@cbnewsj.att.com (felix.cabral) writes:

>This article has two parts to it. The first is with a setup problem
>using word for windows and the second is a request for info on diagnostic
>hardware for the PC.

>First:
>I discovered a peculiar problem during the setup of word for windows.
>If my Logitech mouse drivers are loaded (ie menu, click and mouse.com)
>I get a garbled video display somewhere near my last floppy being installed.
>Somehow the driver, whichever it is, interferes with  the setup program
>that is used to install word.

I finally dumped the Logitech driver (mouse.com) on my system in favor of
using Windows 3.0's mouse.sys instead.  Besides having trouble using the
mouse within windows if the Logitech drivers were in, I was having trouble
in other programs outside windows.  (Just by way of example: Broderbund's
"Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego" worked ok with the Logitech Drivers,
but the "Where in Time" program didn't recognize the mouse at all.)  With
mouse.sys I haven't seen any problems yet.
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165