[comp.os.msdos.apps] MAJOR problem with Parsons Tax Program

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (02/16/91)

I recently purchased Parsons Technologhy's Personal Tax Preparer, and have
found a major problem with it. I've tried calling their (not toll-free) service
number about 30 times. 29 times it has been busy, and the 30th I was put
on hold for several minutes, then heard the distinctive sound of someone
picking up a phone and putting it straight down again, cutting me off.

The program allows you to use a mini-spreadsheet to calculate numbers
for any entry on your form. The problem is that if you change one of these
spreadsheets which already exists, the program doesn't necessarily alter
you tax return. It seems that if you remember to tell it to update
the form immediately, it works OK. However, if you're like me, and just
want to enter all your data, press ESC a few times, then recalculate the
entire form (an option that the program has - in theory), you may be in
for a nasty surprise. It just keeps on using the old number from the
previous mini-spreadsheet, and there seems to be no way of finding out about
this without manually checking everything.

Since I've just about finished my return, I can't be bothered to return
the program and get another, but my advice to anyone else out there
trying to decide what to do is:

1) DON'T buy this program. It's not bad apart from this utterly abysmal
problem, but it also doesn't seem to want to audit and check the entire
return, only a single form at a time. It has reasonable help, but
DOESN'T have the original IRS instructions for the tax forms.

2) If you've already bought it, and don't want to return it, be VERY, VERY
careful about believing the numbers it tells you

Not being able to trust the numbers produced by a tax program seems
to be a major problem. I know at least one such program promises to pay
you any difference if it miscalculates you taxes, but this one is sold
"as is, without any warranty of any kind", except for replacement of defective
disks.

"In no event shall Parsons be liable or responsible for any problems that
arise because of defects with Personal Tax Preparer"

I know this is pretty standard language, but it sucks.

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.172639.14317@portia.Stanford.EDU>, rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) writes:
> I recently purchased Parsons Technologhy's Personal Tax Preparer, and have
> found a major problem with it.
. customer support complaint deleted...

> The program allows you to use a mini-spreadsheet to calculate numbers
> for any entry on your form. The problem is that if you change one of these
> spreadsheets which already exists, the program doesn't necessarily alter
> you tax return. It seems that if you remember to tell it to update
> the form immediately, it works OK. However, if you're like me, and just
> want to enter all your data, press ESC a few times, then recalculate the
> entire form (an option that the program has - in theory), you may be in
> for a nasty surprise. It just keeps on using the old number from the
> previous mini-spreadsheet, and there seems to be no way of finding out about
> this without manually checking everything.
>
> Since I've just about finished my return, I can't be bothered to return
> the program and get another, but my advice to anyone else out there
> trying to decide what to do is:
>
> 1) DON'T buy this program. It's not bad apart from this utterly abysmal
> problem, but it also doesn't seem to want to audit and check the entire
> return, only a single form at a time. It has reasonable help, but
> DOESN'T have the original IRS instructions for the tax forms.

. further complaint deleted.

> Richard Stanton
> pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

As a followup, I would recommend that nobody buy their MoneyCounts program
either.  I bought MoneyCounts (v 5.0 I think) and it had THE WORST user
interface of any program I have ever had to deal with.  (Accounts couldn't be
referred to by name: they had to be referred by NUMBERS (01-50: checking a/c's,
etc.)  Their programs are cheap -- for a reason.
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) (02/18/91)

Actually I seemed to have good luck with the "recalculate all" function
key. My problem occurred when it was time to PRINT the forms. I was
using LaserJet output. THe 1040 was fine, but about half the supporting
forms, and I had a bunch of them, didn't print the title line of the form.

Fortunately, the ASCII files it prepared were OK and I was able to get
them out but it would have been better i the LaserJet output worked
for all the forms and scheduled. Of course Postscript would have been
even better.

Does anyone know a tax prep software package with Postscript support?

Tom Beach

* Tom Beach           * Note was taken. Passively, since active verbs tend to  *
* ADP Dealer Services *      betray the actor. Very serious note. Taken all    *
* 2525 SW 1st Ave     *      over the place.                                   *
* Portland, OR, 97201 *            John LeCarre, The Russia House              *
* dtb@adpplz.UUCP     *                                                        *

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/19/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 1991 01:07:16 GMT

In article <473@adphdw20.UUCP> dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:

>Actually I seemed to have good luck with the "recalculate all" function
>key. My problem occurred when it was time to PRINT the forms. I was
>using LaserJet output. THe 1040 was fine, but about half the supporting

And another one to the list:  My personal information sheet said married
filing jointly, 2 exemptions. After recalculation it still said so, but
the tax summary said 1 exemption. After 10 minutes of futile efforts I had
to change it manually. That cute bug (if you don't catch it) guarantees
you're gonna pay your Uncle through the nose.

Tony

gt5139c@hydra.gatech.edu (PETER L. THOMAS) (02/20/91)

In article <313.27bfb1c3@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
   As a followup, I would recommend that nobody buy their MoneyCounts program
   either.  I bought MoneyCounts (v 5.0 I think) and it had THE WORST user
   interface of any program I have ever had to deal with.  (Accounts couldn't be
   referred to by name: they had to be referred by NUMBERS (01-50: checking a/c's,
   etc.)  Their programs are cheap -- for a reason.

Adrian,

MC V.6.5 is a vast improvement over 5.0, which came out several years back.
I wouldn't attack Parson's on the basis of an obsolete version.  MC6.5 has been
fantastic for me, and has an excellent user interface, with a lot of "smarts"
built in to select the most likely payees, amounts, account names, etc. so you
do not have to type the whole thing in each time.

Good luck!

--Pete

timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) (02/20/91)

I have two major gripes with the Parsons Tax Preparer.

(1) "Recalculate All", ALT-F6, clearly does not.  This may be related to the
    problem which started this thread.  I made a preliminary pass through my
    return, then went back some weeks later with final data and made updates.
    Next, I did ALT-F6 to recalculate all (which takes multiple minutes on my
    10MHz 286), then I printed ASCII.  This asks if you wish to recalculate
    before printing.  Naturally, I said NO, since I just recalculated.  Well,
    the "printed" results were NOT the same as the on-screen version!
    I redid the print ASCII, answered YES, and the results matched.

    You can be sure I am going to make careful use of a calculator when I
    transcribe the ASCII data to the forms.

(2) Except for the ugly "print ASCII", the fricking program CANNOT print to any
    file other than LPT[123] or COM[123].  This is a NEAR FATAL flaw, shared by
    a large number of applications.

    ATTENTION APPLICATION DEVELOPERS!!!  Many, many real-life users DO NOT HAVE
    printers attached to their computers!  Instead we/they need to copy our
    FORMATTED print files to floppy and run them to a shared print station.
    Win 3.0 has the right idea; set the default print destination to "FILE:",
    and the program asks you for a destination file name each time you print.

    While it is true that PD utilities such as LPTX and PRN2FILE can work
    around this, (A) they do not work with every application and (B) why should
    I have to do this?  This is such a simple problem to fix.

--
timr@gssc.gss.com	Tim N Roberts, CCP	Graphic Software Systems
						Beaverton, OR

This is a very long palindrome. .emordnilap gnol yrev a si sihT

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (02/20/91)

In article <313.27bfb1c3@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>As a followup, I would recommend that nobody buy their MoneyCounts program
>either.  I bought MoneyCounts (v 5.0 I think) and it had THE WORST user

I disagree. Im quite pleased with the product, and really dont know what
this person has against the user interface. Its just as good as much of
the junk on the market, and for a simple accounting system, which are
normally quite conservative in nature and application, is not at all bad.
And for $35 its a good deal.
I have no problems recommending it.

Mark
maurit@nrtc.northrop.com

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/21/91)

In article <473@adphdw20.UUCP>, dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:
> Actually I seemed to have good luck with the "recalculate all" function
> key. My problem occurred when it was time to PRINT the forms. I was
> using LaserJet output. THe 1040 was fine, but about half the supporting
> forms, and I had a bunch of them, didn't print the title line of the form.
>
> Fortunately, the ASCII files it prepared were OK and I was able to get
> them out but it would have been better i the LaserJet output worked
> for all the forms and scheduled. Of course Postscript would have been
> even better.
>
> Does anyone know a tax prep software package with Postscript support?

Tom:

	Yes.  MacInTax for Windows (as windows has built in postscript
support.)  That's the one I'm using.  I don't think the information in
the program is terribly useful -- no more so than reading the instructions
that are printed in the 1040 -- but the output looks great, and it's what
you see is what you get.  If that's what you want.

				Adrian

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |

dsew@troi.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) (02/22/91)

Are the people having problems with the Parsons Tax Program using the
"final filing version" that Parsons sent out recently?
--
David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
   dsew@cc.rochester.edu || dsew%cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET