[comp.os.msdos.apps] Scientific Graphing Program

fsjcb1@acad3.alaska.edu (Curt Beavers) (02/22/91)

    I'm looking for a scientific graphing program for IBM compatibles running
Dos and I have yet to find a satisfactory one.  For those familiar with
Cricketgraph ond Kalidegraph, something like either of these Macintosh programs
would be great.

    Basically my qualifications are these.  I need to be able to enter data in
a spreadsheet like manner, be able to do basic manipulations (add five to
column A and put it in column B, divide A by B and put it in C, etc).  I'd li,e
to be able to produce scatter point graphs and edit them inside the program
(adding and moving labels, resizing fonts if possible, maybe even primitive
drawing tools?).  Also, and most importantly, I'd like to be able to fit
equations to the data and have the program find the constants (zero points,
slope, exponential decay constant, period for repeating functions).  Then,
displaying the resulting equation over the data would be nice.

    I'm very surprised that I have yet to come up with a software package like
this.  Kalidegraph on the Mac is one of the best tools a science student (or
researcher for that matter) can have.  If only I could run Kalidegraph under
Windows, my life would be complete......

--
Curt Beavers
Microcomputer Technician

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb21.131836.1@acad3.alaska.edu>, fsjcb1@acad3.alaska.edu (Curt Beavers) writes:

    I'm looking for a scientific graphing program for IBM compatibles running
Dos and I have yet to find a satisfactory one.
If only I could run Kalidegraph under
Windows, my life would be complete......

A company called MicroMath Scientific Software in Salt Lake City
(800-942-MATH) makes scientific plotting and manipulation stuff, and I
have heard that they will be releasing a Windows product that will do
just what you wnat in a couple of months, if you can wait.  If not,
DOS versions are available now.

---
Brad Hines
Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, Pasadena, California

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/25/91)

Here are some publically available packages that you might want to look at.
I've not used any of these, so I can't give any recommendations.  At least
the LG_READ.ME is available so you can find out more about that package with
out having to get the whole thing....

GRAPH322.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPH>    Scientific graphics - executables and docs
GRAPHSRC.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPH>    GRAPH v3.21 scientific graphics, Turbo C src
AUTOGRAF.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS> Graphing & data analysis, makes scatterplots
EZGRAPH.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS> Scientific plotting pkg, w/graphical interface
LASER34A.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Laser Graphics, scientific plotting pgm, 1of5
    :                :                     :                 :
LASER34E.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Laser Graphics, scientific plotting pgm, 5of5
LG_DOC1.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Scientific 2D/3D/scatter/XY/vector plot 1of10
    :                :                     :                  :
LG_DOC6.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Scientific 2D/3D/scatter/XY/vector plot 6of10
LG_EXE1.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Scientific 2D/3D/scatter/XY/vector plot 7of10
    :                :                     :                  :
LG_EXE4.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Scientific 2D/3D/scatter/XY/vector plot 10of10
LG_READ.ME   PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>     Scientific 2D/3D/scatter/XY/vector pkg. info

These are all available at:
New Mexico:  simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory listed above
                                           (PDx:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )
Missouri:    wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx
Australia:   sol.deakin.oz.au (128.184.1.1) in pub/PC/simtel-20/xxxxx

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I

(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  Internet users should
        try BITNET domain addresses such as TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET)

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

jhammo@uwovax.uwo.ca (James Hammond) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.131836.1@acad3.alaska.edu>, fsjcb1@acad3.alaska.edu (Curt Beavers) writes:

>     I'm looking for a scientific graphing program for IBM compatibles running
> Dos and I have yet to find a satisfactory one.  For those familiar with
> Cricketgraph ond Kalidegraph, something like either of these Macintosh programs
> would be great.
>
>     Basically my qualifications are these.  I need to be able to enter data in
> a spreadsheet like manner, be able to do basic manipulations (add five to
> column A and put it in column B, divide A by B and put it in C, etc).  I'd li,e
> to be able to produce scatter point graphs and edit them inside the program
> (adding and moving labels, resizing fonts if possible, maybe even primitive
> drawing tools?).  Also, and most importantly, I'd like to be able to fit
> equations to the data and have the program find the constants (zero points,
> slope, exponential decay constant, period for repeating functions).  Then,
> displaying the resulting equation over the data would be nice.

                           ------ remainder deleted ------

I use a commercial program called GraphPad.  It will do virtually all of the
things you mentioned.  It does have a spreadsheet-like data entry mode, but it
only allows manipulation of existing columns (i.e. you cannot "divide A by B
and put it in C), however you can do a variety of mathematical manipulations on
the data in any particular column.  I do not find this to be a restriction
though since the program can directly read spreadsheet print files; therefore,
all data manipulations can be done using the spreadsheet program and the data
imported into GraphPad (alternatively, I use Desqview/386 to exchange data
between the spreadsheet and GraphPad).

You can obtain more info on GraphPad (or order it) from the following address:

		GraphPAD Software
		10855 Sorrento Valley Rd, Suite 204B
		San Diego, California
		92121,  USA

		Phone:     619-457-3909
		FAX:       619-457-8141
		MCI Mail:  GRAPHPAD
		InterNet:  GRAPHPAD@MCIMAIL.COM

P.S.  I am in no way associated with GraphPAD Software.  I am simply a very
      satisfied user of this scientific graphing program.
    James R. Hammond: Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
                      University of Western Ontario
                      Tel: (519) 661-3780
                      Fax: (519) 661-3797

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.131836.1@acad3.alaska.edu> fsjcb1@acad3.alaska.edu (Curt Beavers) writes:

>    I'm looking for a scientific graphing program for IBM compatibles running
>Dos and I have yet to find a satisfactory one.  For those familiar with

[deleted some]

>column A and put it in column B, divide A by B and put it in C, etc).  I'd li,e
>to be able to produce scatter point graphs and edit them inside the program
>(adding and moving labels, resizing fonts if possible, maybe even primitive
>drawing tools?).  Also, and most importantly, I'd like to be able to fit
>equations to the data and have the program find the constants (zero points,
>slope, exponential decay constant, period for repeating functions).  Then,
>displaying the resulting equation over the data would be nice.

I assume you know that the latest generation of spreadsheets (123 v.3,
Quattro Pro) are adept at most of this except for the last set of
requirements.  A nonlinear curve fitting program was described in
the issue of Science that came out today that sounds great for that
last set.

  Glenn Davis Stone                BITNET stone@cunixc
  Columbia University            INTERNET stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.131836.1@acad3.alaska.edu>, fsjcb1@acad3.alaska.edu (Curt Beavers) writes:

>     I'm looking for a scientific graphing program for IBM compatibles running
> Dos and I have yet to find a satisfactory one.  For those familiar with
> Cricketgraph ond Kalidegraph, something like either of these Macintosh programs
> would be great.

  [ some specific examples deleted ]

--
Curt
  You might want to take a look at a program called "MathCAD".  It allows

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks, just remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here.