[comp.os.msdos.apps] More Windows Bmp files from Gifs

chapman@ducvax.auburn.edu (03/01/91)

Thanks to all the people who responded to my letter above about the Windows
GIF to BMP conversion. I have both of the programs but I am still getting
several problems:

    (1)   WinGIF converts EVERY 256 color file to an 8 color file.

    (2)   The GIF2BMP does a similiar thing.

    (3)   WingGIF refuses to save any of my conversions.

I'm using Windows 3.0 on a 640K 286-12 AT machine, with 384k extended memory,
and a VGA card which supports 300x200x256 color VGA.  Maybe my problem is
with my machine.  Can anyone out there help me further?

				- George

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (03/05/91)

chapman@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>    (1)   WinGIF converts EVERY 256 color file to an 8 color file.
>    (2)   The GIF2BMP does a similiar thing.

I would venture that WinGIF is actually creating a 256-color BMP file, but
your video driver is only supporting 16 colors.

>    (3)   WingGIF refuses to save any of my conversions.

I have no clue as to why this might be happening.

>I'm using Windows 3.0 on a 640K 286-12 AT machine, with 384k extended memory,
>and a VGA card which supports 300x200x256 color VGA.  Maybe my problem is
>with my machine.  Can anyone out there help me further?

It doesn't matter what resolutions/color combinations your VGA board can do,
unless you use the proper Windows video driver.  If you open "Windows Setup"
and check the video display selection, you'll probably see "VGA 640x480 16
colors".  This means all you get is 16 colors under Windows, no matter what.
I've never seen a Windows driver for 320x200x256, but I have seen plenty of
drivers for Super-VGA cards in such modes as 640x480x256 and 800x600x256.  If
your VGA board can handle these resolutions, locate the proper driver and you
should be in business.

 - Phil

rosen@tristar.samsung.com (MFHorn) (03/06/91)

In article <26876@netcom.COM> wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) writes:
> chapman@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:
>
> >    (1)   WinGIF converts EVERY 256 color file to an 8 color file.
> >    (2)   The GIF2BMP does a similiar thing.
>
> I would venture that WinGIF is actually creating a 256-color BMP file, but
> your video driver is only supporting 16 colors.

I'm having the same problem with wingif and gif2bmp.  It's not my
driver; I can display 256 color bmp files, but

> If you open "Windows Setup"
> and check the video display selection, you'll probably see "VGA 640x480 16
> colors".

...I'll have to check to be sure..

--
Andy Rosen                | rosen@samsung.com       | "I got this guitar
Samsung Software America  | ...!uunet!samsung!rosen |  and I learned how