[comp.os.msdos.apps] Can't reboot with QEMM 5.1

ted@tasha.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, Staff) (03/07/91)

Some time ago we purchased QEMM v5.1.  I am using it with the ROM
and RAM parameters, so the processor is forced into protected mode
all the time.  When using qemm this way, I am unable to do a
software reboot via CTL-ALT-DEL (or any other method).  All
reboots must a cold boots.  This does get somewhat anoying having
to reach over and hit the reset key all the time to reboot.

Also, when I use the RAM paramter on QEMM, I can not load
windows 3.0 in enhanced mode.  Funny junk gets spewed out on
the screen (looks like the binary is getting dumped to
video mem).  I have specified /Xb00-b7ff (so qemm does not
use this mem, nor will windows).

The machine has a 25MHz 386, no coproc, AMI BIOS with C&T chipset.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

    Theodore S. Kapela			ted@{tasha|gracie}.poly.edu
					(516) 755-4299 [Days Only]
           "Another brilliant mind corrupted by education"

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar6.184139.12767@tasha.poly.edu> ted@tasha.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, Staff) writes:
>Some time ago we purchased QEMM v5.1.  I am using it with the ROM
>and RAM parameters, so the processor is forced into protected mode
>all the time.  When using qemm this way, I am unable to do a
>software reboot via CTL-ALT-DEL (or any other method).  All
>reboots must a cold boots.  This does get somewhat anoying having
>to reach over and hit the reset key all the time to reboot.

>The machine has a 25MHz 386, no coproc, AMI BIOS with C&T chipset.

Same thing happens on my machine
(386/20 Micronics motherboard, Phoenix BIOS, unknown chipset - not
C&T)

The machine *does* reboot if I flip the dipswitch to use ROM
relocation in hardware, but then I wind up with less memmory (384K go
the relocation scheme) and the Video BIOS of my ATI V.W. is suddenly
in two places at once... (weird? yes!)
OK, you gurus out there - speak up

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (prof. n liu) (03/14/91)

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) writes:

>In article <1991Mar6.184139.12767@tasha.poly.edu> ted@tasha.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, Staff) writes:
>>Some time ago we purchased QEMM v5.1.  I am using it with the ROM
>>and RAM parameters, so the processor is forced into protected mode
>>all the time.  When using qemm this way, I am unable to do a
>>software reboot via CTL-ALT-DEL (or any other method).  All
>>reboots must a cold boots.  This does get somewhat anoying having
>>to reach over and hit the reset key all the time to reboot.

>>The machine has a 25MHz 386, no coproc, AMI BIOS with C&T chipset.

>Same thing happens on my machine
>(386/20 Micronics motherboard, Phoenix BIOS, unknown chipset - not
>C&T)

>The machine *does* reboot if I flip the dipswitch to use ROM
>relocation in hardware, but then I wind up with less memmory (384K go
>the relocation scheme) and the Video BIOS of my ATI V.W. is suddenly
>in two places at once... (weird? yes!)
>OK, you gurus out there - speak up

Boing, pfffft, gee wow. I too have been having difficulties with my 386/20
Micronics and QEMM.. I'd assumed earlier that i was just stupid or that
strange things are supposed to happened with your video bios. Hell, even
now my video bios (paradise 512k SVGA) exists in two places, and loading
ANYTHING high seems to overwrite at least one of these, rendering graphics
impossible. Just what the hell is going on here? I actually have no problems
rebooting, except (and this is REAL weird) with the EMS drivers included
with the m-board - i get a rom error and have to run setup and then continue
to get that to even marginally work. So what i've done essentially is
given up on EMS for loading high, and not worring about memory used by
random .sys and tsr's. I have had no problems with XMS drivers at all
so far...

Incidentally, flipping the dipswitch generally does what you'd expect
on mine, but loadhi with QEMM still don't work at all.

So, yes, i concur... help!

nyet@cobalt.caltech.edu

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (03/15/91)

have you guys thought about adding the EXCLUDE argument or the ADAPTERRAM
switches into the QEMM386 line in your CONFIG.SYS?

I'm not sure if it's going to help, but Manifest might help you locate the
RAM locations which your video adapter is using so you can tell QEMM not
to use those locations.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (03/15/91)

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (prof. n liu) writes:
>orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar6.184139.12767@tasha.poly.edu> ted@tasha.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, Staff) writes:
>>>all the time.  When using qemm this way, I am unable to do a
>>>software reboot via CTL-ALT-DEL (or any other method).  All

>>Same thing happens on my machine
>>(386/20 Micronics motherboard, Phoenix BIOS, unknown chipset - not
>>C&T)

>Boing, pfffft, gee wow. I too have been having difficulties with my 386/20
>Micronics and QEMM.. I'd assumed earlier that i was just stupid or that

You fellows really ought to RTFM.  The answer is on page 24 of the
QEMM manual, starting at the 7th line from the top.  If you don't have
manuals, tough cookies: you haven't paid for the software, and you'll
get no help from me.

//richard
.
.