[comp.os.msdos.apps] Annoying problem with Telemate version 2.11

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (03/15/91)

I am thinking of registering Telemate version 2.11 which is a very nice piece
of software except (aside from the glitches in the vt-100 emulation, but that's
another story...) for this one bug that's driving me fruity.

I run a Gateway-2000 '286 machine with a Cardinal 2400 baud modem and, if I
Telemate is in terminal mode but not connected, an incoming phone call will
crash the computer which forces me to do a "red button" reboot.  Or this can
happen when I'm "attack dialing" a popular bbs and somebody tries to call me
and manages to get through between dialing attempts.  It's very frustrating...

Anybody else have this problem?  You can e-mail me or post to this newsgroup.
And I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated data-line!  :)

Thanks in advance

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.190004.5873@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>I am thinking of registering Telemate version 2.11 which is a very nice piece
>of software except (aside from the glitches in the vt-100 emulation, but that's
>another story...) for this one bug that's driving me fruity.
>
>I run a Gateway-2000 '286 machine with a Cardinal 2400 baud modem and, if I
>Telemate is in terminal mode but not connected, an incoming phone call will
>crash the computer which forces me to do a "red button" reboot.  Or this can
>happen when I'm "attack dialing" a popular bbs and somebody tries to call me
>and manages to get through between dialing attempts.  It's very frustrating...
>
>Anybody else have this problem?  You can e-mail me or post to this newsgroup.
>And I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated data-line!  :)

I've never experienced this problem, and the situation you describe has
happened many times.  Have you set auto-answer off on your modem with
ATS0=0 ?

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.233642.14639@qualcomm.com> rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>In article <1991Mar14.190004.5873@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>>I am thinking of registering Telemate version 2.11 which is a very nice piece
>>of software except (aside from the glitches in the vt-100 emulation, but that's
>>another story...) for this one bug that's driving me fruity.
>>
>>I run a Gateway-2000 '286 machine with a Cardinal 2400 baud modem and, if I
>>Telemate is in terminal mode but not connected, an incoming phone call will
>>crash the computer which forces me to do a "red button" reboot.  Or this can
>>happen when I'm "attack dialing" a popular bbs and somebody tries to call me
>>and manages to get through between dialing attempts.  It's very frustrating...
>>
>>Anybody else have this problem?  You can e-mail me or post to this newsgroup.
>>And I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated data-line!  :)
>
>I've never experienced this problem, and the situation you describe has
>happened many times.  Have you set auto-answer off on your modem with
>ATS0=0 ?

Yes.  At least, I think I have.  Here is my modem init string:

AT S7=35 S0=0 S11=45 S2=0 M0 V1 X4

Is there something that could be putting another value into the S0 register
without my knowing it?

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu