[comp.os.msdos.apps] Spell checker in MS Word 5.0

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (03/14/91)

Hi; I have very little experience in the DOS world, so please don't yell at
me if the problem is trivial (yes, I did read the manuals).

I set up Word 5.0 on a Compaq LTE/20MB laptop; it's working fine. I then
proceeded to install the Thesaurus; it's OK, too. Finally, I used the setup
app. to install the dictionary for spell checks. It did put the file
AM-SPELL.LEX in my Word directory on the hard disk, and that name als
showed up in Word's Options under Spellchecker path or some such entry.

But every time I try to use the spellcheckeri, L)ibrary/S)pell, Word spins
the floppy drive a bit and asks me to put the Spell floppy, as if it
thought I'm running on a floppy system...

Do I need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT somehow? It has the path to my Word
directory in it already...     Please help!
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

kim@m44.unm.edu (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.211622.7640@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>, ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
>Hi; I have very little experience in the DOS world, so please don't yell at
>me if the problem is trivial (yes, I did read the manuals).
>
>I set up Word 5.0 on a Compaq LTE/20MB laptop; it's working fine. I then
>proceeded to install the Thesaurus; it's OK, too. Finally, I used the setup
>app. to install the dictionary for spell checks. It did put the file
>AM-SPELL.LEX in my Word directory on the hard disk, and that name als
>showed up in Word's Options under Spellchecker path or some such entry.
>
>But every time I try to use the spellcheckeri, L)ibrary/S)pell, Word spins
>the floppy drive a bit and asks me to put the Spell floppy, as if it
>thought I'm running on a floppy system...
>
>Do I need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT somehow? It has the path to my Word
>directory in it already...     Please help!

In the OPTIONS menu, the spellchecker path may not give the correct drive
designation.  You can replace the path in OPTIONS with the correct
drive,path,filename designation, which should do the trick.  For instance, if
the Word program and SPELL-AM.LEX are on C:\Word5, then the designation would
be "C:\Word5\spell-am.lex".  This should be a problem entirely in the way the
program is set up, and should not involve system setup at all.
Daniel Kim