[comp.os.msdos.apps] 4DOS??

root@afit.af.mil (03/14/91)

Help!

I am a nnew body to nn and the wonderfull world of computing.
I've seen many refrences to 4DOS.  Can I get some info on why
a person should download it from simtel20 and swap it out with
command.sys?

Thanx   ------>Pete
e-mail  at   pdekam@galaxy.afit.af.mil (S.V.P.)
Standard disclamers apply <because I don't know anything any way>

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (03/16/91)

In article <pdekam.668922317@galaxy.afit.af.mil> root@afit.af.mil writes:

>I am a nnew body to nn and the wonderfull world of computing.
>I've seen many refrences to 4DOS.  Can I get some info on why
>a person should download it from simtel20 and swap it out with
>command.sys?

Weeeeeellllllll...let's just say that 4dos is messdos written the way it
_should_ have been.  ;^)

4dos places in the command processor whole _bunches_ of nice stuff that you
usually have to load a pile of TSR to get the same results under command.com.

Short list:
	command history
	realistic command line editing
	command aliasing
	a directory stack, with push and pop instructions
	filename completion
	a whole _pile_ of new batch file commands
	a built-in help function
	in-memory execution of batch files
	multiple commands on a line
	255-character command line
	a built-in timer
	many more options on many standard commands
	almost complete compatibility with command.com
	tee and wye (Y) for standard output and input
	try it for free (shareware)
	_not_ crippled shareware
	a more UNIX-like wildcard expansion
		i.e., *yy.txt is NOT equivalent to *.txt

There's a lot more that could be said, but I think you get the idea.

The idea of going back to standard messdos is repugnant, at the very least.

mhr@mendip.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (03/16/91)

In <pdekam.668922317@galaxy.afit.af.mil>, root@afit.af.mil writes:
> Help!
>
> I am a nnew body to nn and the wonderfull world of computing.
> I've seen many refrences to 4DOS.  Can I get some info on why
> a person should download it from simtel20 and swap it out with
> command.sys?

I'm not sure what you mean by "swap it out with command.sys", but if you
really want some information on 4DOS, do this:  download it from the
SIMTEL archives, unzip the archive and read the documentation.  Better
than anything else, that will give you ample reasons to use it.

I have been a satisfied user of 4DOS for over six months now and I'll
never go back to COMMAND.COM - what for?

> Thanx   ------>Pete
> e-mail  at   pdekam@galaxy.afit.af.mil (S.V.P.)
> Standard disclamers apply <because I don't know anything any way>

You're welcome.  Seriously, take the time - you'll be glad you did, even
if you choose to stay with MSDOS (shudder :-} ).

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter    UUCP:     ccicpg!mhr    In all things, restraint,
ICL North America                                 especially with respect