[comp.os.msdos.apps] Auto-answer on modem

stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) (03/17/91)

Hearing some talk about in-coming phone-calls crashs a computer,
come to think of it, I have a modem problem that has been bothering
me for about a year now.  I am using an old Ven-Tel 2400 baud external
modem over COM2: with TELIX.  The init string specifically says

    ATZ~~~AT ...... S0=0 .....
                    ^^^^

meaning no auto-answer, right?  The modem, however, still auto-answers,
and that is very annoying because it picks up the phone before I have
a chance to run over.  I keep my modem on whenever my computer is on,
and so there's this problem.

Anybody knows how I can disable auto-answer forever?  This modem has no
dip switches on the back, and I don't have the manual anymore.  Otherwise,
does anybody know how to send ATS0=0 to the modem without running
a communications program?  I can then send the string to the modem in
my AUTOEXEC.BAT and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks a lot.

- Stephen

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar16.163105.3401@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) writes:
> Anybody knows how I can disable auto-answer forever?  This modem has no
> dip switches on the back, and I don't have the manual anymore.  Otherwise,
> does anybody know how to send ATS0=0 to the modem without running
> a communications program?  I can then send the string to the modem in
> my AUTOEXEC.BAT and see if it solves the problem.

	Stephen,

	I don't know the command to turn your modem's auto-answer off, but,
	once you find it you can issue the command from autoexec.bat.  Just
	use the dos echo command.  If the command you want to issue is
	"ATS0=0" and you're using COM2, you could place the following
	command in your autoexec.bat:  "echo ATS0=0 > COM2."

	Hope this helps.

--
| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| AT&T Bell Labs, 1000 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL 60566     |