[comp.os.msdos.apps] loading WordPerfect 5.0 on drive D?

glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov (Rich Glosson) (03/17/91)

What file do you need to change to tell WordPerfect 5.0 that you want to
move it to another drive, like D, or even if you want to install it on
another drive.  It seems to me that it expects to be loaded on drive C.
I tried to move an existing copy from C:\WP50 to D:\WP50 and when I invoked
it from D, it couldn't find several files that were actually there.

Thanks for any help!

glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov

teexnma@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) (03/18/91)

In <GLOSSON.91Mar16234749@mdtf12.fnal.gov> glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov (Rich Glosson) writes:

>What file do you need to change to tell WordPerfect 5.0 that you want to
>move it to another drive, like D, or even if you want to install it on
>another drive.  It seems to me that it expects to be loaded on drive C.
>I tried to move an existing copy from C:\WP50 to D:\WP50 and when I invoked
>it from D, it couldn't find several files that were actually there.

What you have to do is the following:

From the basic install menu of the WP install program, you have to
choose the CUSTOM option, rather than the BASIC one. Once you are in
the CUSTOM option, you can choose whatever you like, ie where do the
sources (installation floppies) reside (ie A: or B) and where do you
want to put it to (ie, disk C: or D:, or a different name for the
directory, etc...).
Another option is running setup from WP itself (Shift-F1), after you
have moved already installed version to a different disk (or
directory), and go into the Location of Files menu, and change all the
occurences of previous paths, into the new ones (although I haven't
tried that, so I'm not 100% sure that it will work...). In any case,
you would have to do all this WHILE IN the WP directory...
Hope this helps.

--Nino

--
Janet: nino@uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph                    \    Nino Margetic
Earn/Bitnet: nino@mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk               \   Dept. of Medical Physics

) (03/18/91)

In article <GLOSSON.91Mar16234749@mdtf12.fnal.gov> glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov (Rich Glosson) writes:
>What file do you need to change to tell WordPerfect 5.0 that you want to
>move it to another drive, like D, or even if you want to install it on
>another drive.  It seems to me that it expects to be loaded on drive C.
>I tried to move an existing copy from C:\WP50 to D:\WP50 and when I invoked
>it from D, it couldn't find several files that were actually there.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov

You must run setup within WP and edit location of aux. files.  If
you moved everything to D:, you MUST edit by hitting Shift-F1.

WP should load initially, but it will probably warn you of the fact
that it cannot located some of the files it needs.  By editing
location of aux. files, you will be able to tell WP where your
speller, print (.prs), thesaurus, etc., are located.  This is what I
do, and have done when I got another hard drive (for a friend's
system) and moved WP to drive E:.

If WP does not load at all (which is unlikely), then I don't know
what to tell you.

Good luck,

--

Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     kimbob@ucsd.edu

mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) (03/18/91)

I had the same problem.  Rather than go through the whole installation
process again from the beginning (my problem having been that partial
installations of printer drivers and whatnot were going to the wrong
drive) I poked around and discovered the file-directory defaults in the
file WP{WP}.SET; I just hex-edited the file to reflect the proper drive.
(This was after I had changed all the file defaults for the speller, etc.,
from the WP setup menu.)

Good luck!

Michael Flory (mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu)

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (03/18/91)

In article <GLOSSON.91Mar16234749@mdtf12.fnal.gov> glosson@mdtf12.fnal.gov (Rich Glosson) writes:
>What file do you need to change to tell WordPerfect 5.0 that you want to
>move it to another drive, like D, or even if you want to install it on
>another drive.  It seems to me that it expects to be loaded on drive C.
>I tried to move an existing copy from C:\WP50 to D:\WP50 and when I invoked
>it from D, it couldn't find several files that were actually there.

You can do this in the setup menu (Shift-F1)!!

// Gunnar

				Gunnar Dahlstrom
			Chalmers University of Technology
			    Div. Building Technology