[comp.os.msdos.apps] Summary of replies to POP

stryker@cca.ucsf.edu (Michael P. Stryker) (03/19/91)

I wrote to comp.mail.misc,comp.os.msdos.apps,comp.unix.msdos to ask about
the availability of POP (Post Office Protocol) Clients for MSDOS as follows:

>Does anyone know of a public domain or cheap (to universities, at least)
>Post Office Protocol (POP) client for MSDOS machines that would function
>like Eudora does for Macintoshes, reading and sending mail on smtp hosts
>that run the POPServer, communicating over cheap ethernet cards (like
>the Western Digital 8003) or serial lines, and running in the background
>if desired (as a TSR) to check for incoming mail at user-selected intervals?
>
>If you email replies to me, I will summarize for the net in a couple of
>weeks.

I thank everyone for their replies, which were enormously helpful.
This is a summary of the replies from the net.  The most complete
information is in the first two replies listed, from R. Khoo and F.
Selkirk.  The best advice for further information is to follow
comp.protocols.tcp-ip and comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc

>From: Ronald S H Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk>

If you're not already reading comp.protocols.tcp-ip and .tcp-ip.ibmpc,
you should be!  Here's a recent post from one of those two groups that
addresses your question.  POP2 clients seem more plentiful than POP3 ones.
UMN's popmail looks quite swish.

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: Re:  POP2/3, IMAP2/3
Date: 7 Mar 91 18:52:08 GMT

I know of the following POP daemons available by anonymous ftp -
For Berkeley-style UNIX:

	ucdavis.edu		/dist/pop3d, /dist/pop2d
	lilac.berkeley.edu	popper-1.7.tar.Z 	  (pop3)
	ics.uci.edu		mh/mh-6.7.tar.Z		  (pop3)
	thezoo.eng.clemson.edu	/pop3/pop3d.shar

For VMS:

	vx.acs.umn.edu			(I don't have file names)
	trident.arc.nasa.gov.

DOS POP clients available by anonymous ftp:

	boombox.micro.umn.edu		POPmail/PC
	trident.arc.nasa.gov		PCPOP
	ucdavis.ucdavis.edu		UCDmail

DOS POP clients in commercial TCP/IP packages:

	Sun's Lifeline			POP2 client
	IBM's TCP/IP package 		POP2 client
	FTP Software's PC/TCP 		POP2 and POP3 clients, and PCMAIL.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880
Also, similar refs from:
>From: "Stephen E. Collins" <sec@cs.umn.edu>
>From: Tarjei Jensen <tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no>
>From: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl)

We may also be doing a client here using WATTCP; not sure yet, will announce
it if we do.
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca
	BangPath: {allegra,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!sunee!broehl
	Voice:  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]
From: gwcook@Corp.Sun.COM (Gary Cook - CS Mgr - Latin America)

Probably not cheap, but I'll do my corporate duty and plug PC-NFS/Lifeline.

Gary W. Cook, C.S. Mgr, Latin America / Carribean * Sun Microsystems, Inc.
2550 Garcia Ave.  MS MPK2-1		Mountain View, Ca  94303-1100
Tel: 415-688-9371			Fax: 415-688-9477
>From: mir@chorus.fr

Of course there is.  In the 'IBM TCP/IP for DOS' package at least.
The user interface is based on Mail Handle (MH). IBM also include
a POP2 server source for Unix on their source diskettes.

It doesn't run in the background (you would need a resident socket
interface; I know only commercial products, like FTP's).

IBM TCP/IP derives from PC/IP, which is public domain and downloadable
from many sites, I suppose there is a POP2 client in PC/IP too. Also
a lot of universities produced their own versions of PC/IP. I don't
know which is the more elaborated one. People on comp.protocols.tcp-ip.
ibmpc would surely know and you should have cross-posted to them first.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX
>From: flitter@atisun.dt.navy.mil (Lance Flitter)
   I don't know what you consider cheap, but PC-NFS / Lifeline mail
does most of what you're looking for.  You might want to contact Sun for
University pricing.