[comp.os.msdos.apps] MSDOS and DOS Extenders

bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) (03/14/91)

Hi World,

I am looking to program a Targa+ in linear mode. To do so, I will
be using MSC 6.0, some ASM, and the Phar Lap tools. How nasty is
programming in ASM with C under Phar Lap? Is it hostile? Are there
any caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks

Bob Zigon

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/15/91)

From article <1991Mar14.154347.9377@truevision.com>, by bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon):

> Hi World,
>
> I am looking to program a Targa+ in linear mode. To do so, I will
> be using MSC 6.0, some ASM, and the Phar Lap tools. How nasty is
> programming in ASM with C under Phar Lap? Is it hostile? Are there
> any caveats I should be aware of?

If your talkin' 32 bit code, MSC 6.0 won't be of much value.  You'll need
something like MicroWay C or Metaware, or Zortech.  PharLap tools
are rather benign in a coding sense.  They run your code at the highest
priviledge level so things aren't a HUGE amount different than real mode.

My company ported around half a million lies of FORTRAN and 100,000 lines
C using MicroWay tools and PharLap extenders.  All went pretty well, except
for the tricks to do decent hardware mouse interfacing, but even that was not
overwhelming.  We don't support the Targa board, but we do run on the new
SGI IrisVision boards.  No problems there really either.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (Harald Boegeholz) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar14.190426.25832@ccad.uiowa.edu>
cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
> My company ported around half a million lies of FORTRAN and 100,000 lines
                                          ^^^^ :-)
so FORTRAN must be lying a lot lately :-)
--
Harald Boegeholz |Home:       hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (read daily)