[comp.os.msdos.apps] Pacioli 2000 accounting - comments?

jbthiel@ogicse.ogi.edu (John B. Thiel) (03/20/91)

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Pacioli 2000 accounting
package? From the advertisments it would seem to be an excellent
bargain, but I wonder if it is truly powerful and well-designed or
simplistic and amateurish (eg. gratuitous exploding windows, etc.)
How does it compare to more expensive accounting packages or to
personal finance managers like "Managing Your Money"?

Many thanks for any information.

--
CSNET	jbthiel@cse.ogi.edu
UUCP    ...{sun,tektronix,verdix}!ogicse!jbthiel

sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (03/20/91)

In article <18887@ogicse.ogi.edu> jbthiel@ogicse.ogi.edu (John B. Thiel) writes:
>Does anyone have first hand experience with the Pacioli 2000 accounting
>package? From the advertisments it would seem to be an excellent
>bargain, but I wonder if it is truly powerful and well-designed or
>simplistic and amateurish (eg. gratuitous exploding windows, etc.)
>How does it compare to more expensive accounting packages or to
>personal finance managers like "Managing Your Money"?
>
>Many thanks for any information.
>
>--
>CSNET	jbthiel@cse.ogi.edu
>UUCP    ...{sun,tektronix,verdix}!ogicse!jbthiel
>        formerly cse.ogc.edu and ogccse

I recently installed Paciolli 2000 on a friends machine, and have
played with it a bit.  It is full featured,(8 modules, payroll module
is a bit extra - $10.00 or so), seems capable of handling a number of
businesses, is a bit rigid in some areas (you sometimes have to take a
round about way to do something - I think this is caused by the way it
stores it records).  The guy who wrote it also wrote DAC Easy, and the
two programs are comparable, though DAC Easy is more developed.  It
will run on a Network.  It's price is $49.00 list and you get a
complete manual, and 24 hr. support by phone (not toll free but M-USA
doesn't charge for the support).  The person that I installed the
package for is using it to manage a small heating oil business
(approx. 1000 customers), so far they love the package, it does most
of what they want (it won't calculate degree days,  but the cheapest
commerical package that they looked at, that did cost $5,000.00) ((I
know they could've gotten a database, Paradox, Dbase, etc. and
tailored a package, but they aren,t programmers, and to hire it done
would have cost nearly as much :-).))

For the price, you can't really go wrong.  It is professional and
effective. My only complaint, is that becuase it uses a runtime
interpreter as to execute, it doesn't launch cleanly from the shell in
DOS 4.0 or from a Batch file in 4.0.  I haven't tried it from 3.3 yet,
though if that works cleanly, I'll recommend that my friend dump the
4.0 and install 3.3 (I don't like DOS 4.0, never did, never will, and
it will never reside on any machine I have direct responsibilty for -
(this is a flame :-) on a deeply held religious issue :-).))

----Personal Question ^^^ if anyone has a solution to the above
problem, I'd appreciate an e-mail response... thanks

PC Computing, PC World, PC Magazine have all given excellent reviews to
this product, and in fact it won a Best Buy (or its equivalent) from at
least one of them , for low cost accounting software, in competition
with the likes of DAC, Peachtree etc..

that's my two cents worth...
Steve G

---