[comp.os.msdos.apps] WordPerfect 5.1 **Please read**

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (03/24/91)

Apologies to Raymond Chen for pinching the first bit of what follows:
In article <many> people clamor:
>Gimme comp.whatever.wordperfect!

Why don't you all read the followups that have already been posted,
rather than just latching onto the last one?

It has already been pointed out that *there IS a WP newsgroup*.
Without wanting to start net-wars or anything, it is a slightly
"odd" newsgroup in that it is a Bitnet (mostly) mailing list that
has been gatewayed into Usenet News.  If you post or followup to
postings they go into the newsgroup, but once they hit the gateway
they get E-mailed to the mailing list's members.

Whilst this may seem like an odd arrangement, for sites that get
Usenet News it is a much more efficient system if more than one
person at that site would otherwise subscribe to the mailing list.

If your site doesn't get the bit.listserv.wp50-l group, kick up a
stink - your sys admins or whatever may be easily persuaded to get
it if a few dozen of your colleagues are thinking about subscribing
to the mailing list instead.

Raymond Chen wrote:
> Sheesh.  On 17 March 1991, the results of the voting for
> comp.apps.wp.wordperfect were posted to news.announce.newgroups.  It
> failed to gather the necessary number of votes.
>
> The rules for group creation say that the matter may not be brought
> up again for six months, so please, don't.

I didn't even know that a cfv had gone out, but if I'd seen it I would
have voted "No" because of the existence of the bit.listserv group
- duplication of effort and all that stuff.

 Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z.
 Internet: n.fitzgerald@csc.canterbury.ac.nz        Phone: (64)(3) 642-337