[comp.os.msdos.apps] WordPerfect 5.1

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/23/91)

Is there a newsgroup for WordPerfect users, or DOS word processors in general?
Does anyone else even see a need for such a group?  I think it would be handy,
and I could sure use a network of fellow WP users to ask questions of now and then (and even answer one or two...)

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David Halpern) (03/23/91)

In article <3571@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>Is there a newsgroup for WordPerfect users, or DOS word processors in general?
>Does anyone else even see a need for such a group?  I think it would be handy,
>and I could sure use a network of fellow WP users to ask questions of now and then (and even answer one or two...)

I think this would be a great idea.  There must be a great number of people who
read comp.oso.msdos.apps who use DOS word processors, including
word, wordperfect,....May be there is already an appropriate newsgroup.
Does anyone know?
I don't how to start a users group.

wagner@chepil.weru.ksu.edu (Larry Wagner) (03/23/91)

halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David Halpern) writes:

>In article <3571@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>>Is there a newsgroup for WordPerfect users, or DOS word processors in general?
>>Does anyone else even see a need for such a group?  I think it would be handy,
>>and I could sure use a network of fellow WP users to ask questions of now and then (and even answer one or two...)
>>
>I think this would be a great idea.  There must be a great number of people who
>read comp.oso.msdos.apps who use DOS word processors, including
>word, wordperfect,....May be there is already an appropriate newsgroup.
>Does anyone know?

Yes, there is a newsgroup, it is:

	bit.listserv.wp50-l

Assuming your newsfeed gets it of course.

Larry E. Wagner                     | wagner@chepil.weru.ksu.edu
USDA-ARS Wind Erosion Research Unit | wagner@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
105B East Waters Hall, KSU          | ...!{rutgers,texbell}!ksuvax1!weru!wagner
Manhattan, KS 66506                 |phone (913)532-6807

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (03/23/91)

From article <3571@polari.UUCP>, by lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser):
> Is there a newsgroup for WordPerfect users, or DOS word processors in general?
> Does anyone else even see a need for such a group?  I think it would be handy,
> and I could sure use a network of fellow WP users to ask questions of now and then (and even answer one or two...)

Yes, I second for a "comp.wordperfect"!

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/24/91)

> Yes, I second that for "comp.wordperfect"!

Hmmm, how about a new group called "comp.os.msdos.apps.wp" for ALL word
processors, since I know that WP has a loyal and large following, there is
a pretty much equal size of people who use PFS:Write, Word, Ami, Legend,
Displaywrite (ugh), and Word/W4W....

Brian

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/24/91)

In article <27596@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>> Yes, I second that for "comp.wordperfect"!

> Hmmm, how about a new group called "comp.os.msdos.apps.wp" for ALL word
> processors, since I know that WP has a loyal and large following, there is
> a pretty much equal size of people who use PFS:Write, Word, Ami, Legend,
> Displaywrite (ugh), and Word/W4W....

Better yet, how about an OLD newsgroup called comp.text.desktop?
(just a thought--I don't actually read the group myself)

-dh

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (03/24/91)

In article <many> people clamor:
>Gimme comp.whatever.wordperfect!

Sheesh.  On 17 March 1991, the results of the voting for
comp.apps.wp.wordperfect were posted to news.announce.newgroups.  It
failed to gather the necessary number of votes.

The rules for group creation say that the matter may not be brought
up again for six months, so please, don't.

In article <1991Mar23.220917.3334@agate.berkeley.edu> raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) writes:
|>In article <many> people clamor:
|>>Gimme comp.whatever.wordperfect!
|>
|>Sheesh.  On 17 March 1991, the results of the voting for
|>comp.apps.wp.wordperfect were posted to news.announce.newgroups.  It
|>failed to gather the necessary number of votes.
|>
|>The rules for group creation say that the matter may not be brought
|>up again for six months, so please, don't.

My site doesn't list any word processing newsgroups....are there?  I was
merely suggesting instead of a WP only newsgroup that if one was created
that it be a more general one (word processing in general)....however, I'm
still not sure if enough interest would be generated.

Brian

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (03/25/91)

In article <27596@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>> Yes, I second that for "comp.wordperfect"!
>
> Hmmm, how about a new group called "comp.os.msdos.apps.wp" for ALL word
> processors, since I know that WP has a loyal and large following, there is
> a pretty much equal size of people who use PFS:Write, Word, Ami, Legend,
> Displaywrite (ugh), and Word/W4W....

In that case, I'm afraid it would sood degenerate into something like
"comp.os.msdos.apps.wp-wars".  In some cases, the number of users of a
special product makes it sensible for them to have a newsgroup of their
own (the HP48sx or gnu-emacs come to mind).  I don't know if this is
the case for WP, but it would be much better to have a "private" group,
if any.

Markus Fischer, Dpt of Anthropology, Geneva CH

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (03/25/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>My site doesn't list any word processing newsgroups....are there?  I was
>merely suggesting instead of a WP only newsgroup that if one was created
>that it be a more general one (word processing in general)....however, I'm
>still not sure if enough interest would be generated.

Same here.  Someone mentioned bit.listserv.wp50-1.  Never heard of it.
I suggest comp.os.msdos.wp, where the WP is Word Processors.

--
Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (03/26/91)

I don't want to seem disloyal to the net, but other inexpensive alter-
natives to a WP51 do exist: (1) The WPCorp BBS at 801 225 4414 and (2)
Fido WordPerfect echo usually have extensive discussions of Word
Perfect. They can be accessed late at night to save telephone $$.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (03/26/91)

For those of you who think that bit.listserv.wp50-l doesn't exist  (i.e.
those people whose sites don't take them from their feed, whose feed is
not "complete", or who don't know how to do their system's equivalent of
ANU News' dir/all), here is the header of the most recent message to
arrive at our site:

Newsgroups: bit.listserv.wp50-l
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Subject: Re: WP and Microsoft Word
From: Dierk Lucyga <RZBERAT1@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 14:59:52 MEZ
Sender: WP50-L Owner <listmgr@ubvm>

Whilst extracting this I looked at the headers for the last 15 or so items
and they all have the same path from the gateway machine - psuvm - to us.
Being in New Zealand (about as far on Internet as you can get from the
origin of most of this stuff) I imagine that most other sites _should_ be
able to get this group.

Nick.

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (03/26/91)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>I don't want to seem disloyal to the net, but other inexpensive alter-
>natives to a WP51 do exist: (1) The WPCorp BBS at 801 225 4414 and (2)
>Fido WordPerfect echo usually have extensive discussions of Word
>Perfect. They can be accessed late at night to save telephone $$.

And I don't want to be disloyal to WPCorp or Fido, but do you know what
phone bills from Australia look like???!!!  In short, your suggestion
is no answer.

--

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (03/27/91)

From article <s64421.669991892@zeus>, by s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron):
> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>
>>I don't want to seem disloyal to the net, but other inexpensive alter-
>>natives to a WP51 do exist: (1) The WPCorp BBS at 801 225 4414 and (2)
>>Fido WordPerfect echo usually have extensive discussions of Word
>>Perfect. They can be accessed late at night to save telephone $$.
>
> And I don't want to be disloyal to WPCorp or Fido, but do you know what
> phone bills from Australia look like???!!!  In short, your suggestion
> is no answer.

And I don't want to be disloyal to WPCorp or the net, but even here
from Oklahoma late at night still cost quite a bit to call 801 area code.
Not exactly something I will do even for semi-urgent question, must less
call in to answer other people's question as I sometime do on this
net.

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.153541.321@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) writes:

%% For those of you who think that bit.listserv.wp50-l doesn't exist  (i.e.
%% those people whose sites don't take them from their feed, whose feed is
%% not "complete", or who don't know how to do their system's equivalent of
%% ANU News' dir/all), here is the header of the most recent message to
%% arrive at our site:
[...]
%% Sender: WP50-L Owner <listmgr@ubvm>
[...]
%% Whilst extracting this I looked at the headers for the last 15 or so items
%% and they all have the same path from the gateway machine - psuvm - to us.
%% Being in New Zealand (about as far on Internet as you can get from the
%% origin of most of this stuff) I imagine that most other sites _should_ be
%% able to get this group.

This is not a Usenet forum, but a Bitnet list, wp50-l. It is gatewayed into
Netnews only on Bitnet/EARN. Internet, UUCP and other users can subscribe by
issuing the:

	subscribe wp50-l FirstName LastName

order, by mail, to listserv@ubvm.bitnet (in the mail body, not the subject
line).
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX