[comp.os.msdos.apps] _SMALL_ modem program wanted

bob@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Bob F. Breedlove) (03/20/91)

In <MORGAN.91Mar11135853@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> morgan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dylan Kaufman) writes:

>Hi,

>I am searching for the smallest possible modem program I can find.
>What I want is a program which will give me terminal mode so that I
>can dial the modem to connect to the school computer (chaos), will
>emulate a vt100 (or something), and will allow me some kind of file
>transfer capability, preferably Zmodem.

One of the best is {COMMO} by Fred Brucker.  It runs in a 64K
window under desqview and uses DSZ.COM and other external programs
for file transfer.  It has a macro language and scroll-back buffer.
It is available on many bulletin board systems including mine --
BOBsBBS (916/929-7511).
--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
Author: CONFIG.EXE, RUN.EXE, CleanUp.EXE
        BATch EXecutive
        bob@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/20/91)

Gee, you don't want much, do you :)

Actually, possibly the best small, full featured PC comm program is {Commo}.
It is small and very flexible.  You also have to have DSZ for protocols.
This all takes up around 150k, and if you get PKLite and squeeze down the
com files, it's even smaller.  Dunno where you can ftp this, since I don't
have that capability, but both are shareware and widely available.

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/21/91)

morgan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu writes:
>I am searching for the smallest possible modem program I can find.
>What I want is a program which will give me terminal mode so that I
>can dial the modem to connect to the school computer (chaos), will
>emulate a vt100 (or something), and will allow me some kind of file
>transfer capability, preferably Zmodem.

This one will do the trick.  It runs in a small DESQview window and
uses DSZ for file transfers.  The author, Ralf Brown, is reachable on
the net, too.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
RBCOMM33.ZIP  B  117764  910203  DESQview-aware comm prg w/VT100,AVATAR,scrlbck

This file is also available from Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

mcastle@mcs213d.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/22/91)

In article <MORGAN.91Mar11135853@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> morgan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu writes:
>I would like to have the source code, if possible, but that is not
>essential.  The purpose of the program is to allow me to use it in
>DESQView with other programs so that I don't take up all of the memory
>(on a 286) with the communications window which can't be swapped out
>of active memory...

A friend of mine who had a 286 just used Procomm, in addition to the external
ZMODEM program.

If he was not downloading, that is, doing actuall work over the modem, he would
just run straight Procomm from a DV window.  If he needed to do something else,
he would open up another window without worry.  If he needed more memory than
was currently available, he would allow procomm to swap out.  Of course, he
would only allow it to be swapped out for about 5-10 minutes, but he never had
any problems.

If he wanted to use zmodem, he would start the remote transfer, close the
procomm window (without hanging up) and open another, small as possible window,
for zmodem alone.  When the transfer was done, he would just go back into
Procomm.  Procomm has an option that keeps it from reinitializing the modem if
carrier detect (CD) is high.  So, he could go back into procomm with no problem.

With this scheme, he would allow procomm only enough memory to run just the
terminal emulator.  No extra memory to allow for shelling to dos, loading in an
external protocol, calling up an editor, etc.  When downloading, he only needed
enough memory for zmodem, which, I assume, is fairly small (I've never used
zmodem, so I don't know all the specifics).  I assume this type of set up will
work with any term program that will allow start up without resetting your
modem.

I've exitted comm programs for a considerable length of time (30 minutes or so,
even with a soft re-boot) without it hanging up on me.  I was impressed, not to
mention surprised when I went back into the program.  I forgot I was still
connected.  :->

Btw, you might have to substitue Procomm+ for all the Procomm's above, I'm not
sure which he uses.

Good luck in finding a suitable program.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (03/27/91)

In article <2447@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213d.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:

}If he was not downloading, that is, doing actuall work over the modem, he would
}just run straight Procomm from a DV window.  If he needed to do something else,
}he would open up another window without worry.  If he needed more memory than
}was currently available, he would allow procomm to swap out.  Of course, he
}would only allow it to be swapped out for about 5-10 minutes, but he never had
}any problems.

One needs to be very careful doing this.  If DV swaps the program out, and a
character arrives on the line, the resulting interrupt won't invoke the
proper interrupt handler (it's swapped out) and nasty things, like a machine
hang will occur.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway