[comp.os.msdos.apps] WP 5.1 on a Zenith 286 Laptop

sandy@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Sandy Walsh) (03/26/91)

As mentioned in the subject line, I am running WP 5.1 on a Zenith 286
laptop ... with little success. I was running the initial release version
and the printer driver would always lock up (not print) a document with
graphics in it. Ok, I could cope, but when I upgraded to the Oct 11/90
release, the printer problem was fixed, but now I hit a "Inproper text
format" error when trying to replace/save the docment to disk.

Not that this is bad enough, but it erases the old copy of the document
BEFORE telling me the current document is in the 'WRONG' format!

It is because of this I have been using Latex for all my latest projects!
Can anyone help me ... has anyone out there experienced this problem.
WP is the only program that consistantly fails on the laptop ... every-
thing else is great!

Please help!
sandy walsh
sandy@garield.cs.mun.ca

sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar25.201834.12377@garfield.cs.mun.ca> sandy@garfield.cs.mun.ca(Sandy Walsh) writes:
>As mentioned in the subject line, I am running WP 5.1 on a Zenith 286
>laptop ... with little success. I was running the initial release version
>and the printer driver would always lock up (not print) a document with
>graphics in it. Ok, I could cope, but when I upgraded to the Oct 11/90
>release, the printer problem was fixed, but now I hit a "Inproper text
>format" error when trying to replace/save the docment to disk.
>
>Not that this is bad enough, but it erases the old copy of the document
>BEFORE telling me the current document is in the 'WRONG' format!
>
>It is because of this I have been using Latex for all my latest projects!
>Can anyone help me ... has anyone out there experienced this problem.
>WP is the only program that consistantly fails on the laptop ... every-
>thing else is great!
>
>Please help!
>sandy walsh
>sandy@garield.cs.mun.ca

I have experienced very similar problems with my Zenith SS286 laptop
running WP 5.1.  I was able to run 5.0 without any problem.  However I
have had all sorts of problems running 5.1, many similar to what has
been mentioned above.  In addition I have had screen freezes, keyboard
lockups occur when I attempt to print. (printer is a brother 1709
using that emulation).  It will sometimes fail to print part of a
document as well.  My SS286 has 1Mb expanded memory set up as 512K for
a disk cache (Norton 5.0) and 512K of expanded memory.  I have 5.1
installed on a number of other machines, including PS/2's and an HP
Vectra ES/12, using the same printer and definition, without any
similar problems.  Also the SS286 seems to run all other applications
just fine.
---
   Stephen Guerke, Coord. Computer Resources  sguerke@brahms.udel.edu
   University of Delaware Parallel Program    stephen.guerke@mvs.udel.edu