[comp.os.msdos.apps] Norton 4.5 SD unmovable blocks

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (03/28/91)

It is my understanding that Norton's Speed Disk marks as unmovable any
files that are hidden or that are otherwise identified as unmovable
via the appropriate command within SD.  On my machine (an Empac 386/20
with 40Meg drive--don't know what kind without looking under the hood)
SD labels as Unmovable 45 blocks, in addition to the two system files
and the FRECOVER.whatever.  If I indeed have some hidden files, there
certainly aren't enough to occupy 45 blocks.  These unmovable blocks
are scattered throughout the drive so, even after a complete
defragmenting, SD reports only 98% defragmented files.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?  Thanks.

--
Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:

>via the appropriate command within SD.  On my machine (an Empac 386/20
>with 40Meg drive--don't know what kind without looking under the hood)
>SD labels as Unmovable 45 blocks, in addition to the two system files

>Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?  Thanks.

Several people correctly solved this problem: I had a bunch of lost
clusters-- in 10 chains, which is solved by using "chkdsk /f" and
deleting the resulting files.  Thanks to all who mailed!

--
Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
(812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --

roth@pdntg1.paradyne.com (Mike Rothman) (03/28/91)

You may very well have some files labelled as Read-Only
To change this, do an attrib -r
I am not sure but I think you can globally do it by attrib -r *.* /s
But I may be wrong

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/29/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1991 19:40:29 GMT

In article <isaacso.670098249@copper> isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
>SD labels as Unmovable 45 blocks, in addition to the two system files

The easiest way to figure it out is to find out which files are marked as
hidden. You can easily see them, appropriately marked, with Norton Commander.
I believe there are some other shells that will let you do that. It is even
possible under DOS, if you painfully go through directories checking the
attributes of the files.

Tony