[comp.os.msdos.apps] Anyone using Memory Commander

mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) (03/29/91)

   Hi,

   I'm currently using an older version of 386 Max that Qualitas has
graciously  :^(  offered to upgrade for more than the mail order price for
5.1.  So I'm thinking of switching to Memory Commander by V Communications.

   Supposedly, it allows you to get up to 900k contiguous DOS memory for
applications (I have no idea how they get around the 640k barrier).  It also
is supposed to allow you to change your memory configuration on the fly
without rebooting.

   Anyone care to offer a review?  Any bugs?  Just how do you get 900k lower
DOS memory?

   Thanks in advance,
   Mark

--
*Mark Marino             * 	D. world destruction
*mwm@raybed6.msd.ray.com *	  Over and overture

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/30/91)

mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) writes:

>   I'm currently using an older version of 386 Max that Qualitas has
>graciously  :^(  offered to upgrade for more than the mail order price for
>5.1.  So I'm thinking of switching to Memory Commander by V Communications.

Me too.  I always thought their upgrade price was a little whacko...  In
fact, now I just use QEMM and my copy of MAX sits on the shelf...

>   Supposedly, it allows you to get up to 900k contiguous DOS memory for
>applications (I have no idea how they get around the 640k barrier).  It also
>is supposed to allow you to change your memory configuration on the fly
>without rebooting.

>   Anyone care to offer a review?  Any bugs?  Just how do you get 900k lower
>DOS memory?

I can't imagine how it is possible.  I think they are playing with words
(and your mind) when they make the 900K claim.  The only way this claim
can make sense is if you count all the High Ram (I.e., TSRs/drivers
loaded high) as part of DOS memory.  Which is fair, in a sense, since
this is space that would otherwise be allocated out of conventional RAM.

Incidentally, I bought Sourcer from those guys (V Comm) [I like it lot;
consider that a recommendaion], and thus was exposed to the promos for
their memory manager and was similarly intrigued by the 900K business.

mwang@oracle.com (Michael Wang) (03/30/91)

In article <2180@raybed2.msd.ray.com> mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) writes:
>   Hi,
>
>   I'm currently using an older version of 386 Max that Qualitas has
>graciously  :^(  offered to upgrade for more than the mail order price for
>5.1.  So I'm thinking of switching to Memory Commander by V Communications.
>
>   Supposedly, it allows you to get up to 900k contiguous DOS memory for
>applications (I have no idea how they get around the 640k barrier).  It also
>is supposed to allow you to change your memory configuration on the fly
>without rebooting.

I have heard from another person that the way Memory Commander gives
you 900K of DOS memory is by remapping all of the areas reserved for
video memory to extended memory. Apparently they can even handle programs
that do direct writes to memory by trapping whichever low-level interrupt
handles moving info from DOS memory to the memory on the video board.
This apparently slows things down somewhat, but it may be worth the extra
memory for many applications. Again, this is all second hand information
so take it with a grain of salt.

Michael Wang
mwang@oracle.com