[comp.os.msdos.apps] Anybody use Helix NetRoom?

greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) (04/05/91)

With all the discussion about QEMM, this seems to be the place to ask:

Does anybody out there have any experience with Helix NetRoom?  A recent
magazine review gave it high marks.  The claim is that NetRoom works like
QEMM with the advantage of being able to load all network stuff up above
640K (like IPX and NETn, and I presume packet drivers as well).  Helix
have some multiple user pricing schemes as well; QEMM is sold one copy at
a time.

I'd like to provide memory management for everyone on my network.  Would
NetRoom be a good idea or a mistake?
--
Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (04/05/91)

greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) writes:

>With all the discussion about QEMM, this seems to be the place to ask:

>Does anybody out there have any experience with Helix NetRoom?  A recent
>magazine review gave it high marks.  The claim is that NetRoom works like
>QEMM with the advantage of being able to load all network stuff up above
>640K (like IPX and NETn, and I presume packet drivers as well).  Helix
>have some multiple user pricing schemes as well; QEMM is sold one copy at
>a time.

I've used HeadRoom (Helix's original product) on 286 machines a lot, and
give it high marks.  Although they say that HR can't handle network
drivers at all, I have been loading my NET3 module high for years
now, with XLOAD (OK, they're right, you can't *swap* a network driver,
but you can XLOAD it)

I have no experience with NetRoom, but I do know that you can load IPX
and NET3 high with QEMM with no problem.  (Insert standard words of high
praise for QEMM here)

P.S. Don't take my .signature seriously.  I have already gotten hate
mail over it from the humor impaired...
--

	(no .sig yet)
	(By the way, is it really true that no one takes you seriously