[comp.os.msdos.apps] 3 processes on a 286

baileyc@tramp.colorado.edu (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) (04/19/91)

I would like to run the following programs simulataneously in some sort of
multi-tasking environment:

Sage Professional Editor
Telix Communications Program
4DOS window - not really necessary, but if possible

all of them can use EMS memory, of which I have 512K always available.
I have a 286 box with 1MMB, 40 MB drive, hercules graphics.  They don't
have to be on the screen at the same time, actually I'd prefer to have them
all have a full screen.  I would run DoubleDOS, but it isn't compatible
with 4DOS, and I don't think software carousel is either.  Telix only
needs about 220K max, but SPE, needs about 400K.  My current setup is
with HIMEM loaded, then the rest of extended memory is used by PCKWIK's
disk cache (/EM switch).  So, if I just run Telix by itself, it grabs
about 250K of EMS memory, leaving about 220 free.  It grabs it in 16K
chunks.  (Telix is linked with PLink)  I think SPE only uses EMS if it has
to, although it doesn't need to when it swaps to dos and only takes 4K (don't
know how they do this).  Anyway, will Desqview allow me to do this, and
maximize my memory?  I have heard it doesn't work that well with a 286.
Also, does Desqview stop a process when it switches to another?  Ie, if I'm
downloading a file in Telix, will it get halted if it switches to the
editor?  Or does it only get halted if it has to be swapped to disk?  Can
desqview swap to extended and expanded memory, or just one, or what???

--
Chris Bailey :: baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU :: University of Colorado Boulder
Ride fast! take chances! but tread lightly!

bodoh@cat4.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Bodoh) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.180630.6049@colorado.edu> baileyc@tramp.colorado.edu (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:

>I would like to run the following programs simulataneously in some sort of
>multi-tasking environment:
>
>Sage Professional Editor
>Telix Communications Program
>4DOS window - not really necessary, but if possible
[STUFF DELETED ON MEMORY REQIREMENTS]
>  Anyway, will Desqview allow me to do this, and
>maximize my memory?  I have heard it doesn't work that well with a 286.
>Also, does Desqview stop a process when it switches to another?  Ie, if I'm
>downloading a file in Telix, will it get halted if it switches to the
>editor?  Or does it only get halted if it has to be swapped to disk?  Can
>desqview swap to extended and expanded memory, or just one, or what???

Any single-processor machine must halt one task when it switches to another,
for one CPU can only do one thing at a time.  However, DESQview will keep
serving each task a small slice of time, so it appears to you that they are
running simultaneously.  DESQview will swap a program to disk if there is
not enough memory, in which case that task DOES NOT get any time slices.
You can tell DESQview that TELIX should not be swapped to disk so that you
don't lose any data from the modem.

On a 286, DESQview will swap to either extended (with a ram disk) or expanded.
But it will not run programs it has swapped out.  On a 386 with QEMM and
extended memory, you can run as many programs as your memory chips allow.

Dan Bodoh