[comp.os.msdos.apps] ProComm Plus 2.0 problems

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (04/21/91)

Some problems we've found with PCPLUS 2.0:
- 'Drop dtr to hang up' doesn't drop dtr long enough any more.  In
  release 1.1b, it dropped it for at least 5/100 second (since that's
  what was in S25 by default).  I tried setting S25 to 3 in the init
  string, but it still didn't consistently hang up.  Workaround: use
  the ATH0 string.  I suspect that if I set S25 any lower, I'd get
  more line-drops on bad lines.
- The man-page for 'sz' (send zmodem) on unix systems says that if
  you use the -a option NLs are to be converted to CR/NL, and that
  for Zmodem, the receiving side is responsible for it.  PCPLUS doesn't
  do this line-end translation.  Workarounds: use DSZ like I did on
  PCPLUS 1.x.  Usually I'm downloading binary files, so it matters
  less.
- If you have non-standard modem settings, the install program will
  'lose' them, even if you select generic Hayes-compatible modem.  I
  suspected this might happen, so I wrote the modem strings before
  I installed.

Are there any other problems ?  Am I the only one with these problems ?

Doug
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         doug@ysub.bitnet
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  doug@ysub.ysu.edu

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/21/91)

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:

>Some problems we've found with PCPLUS 2.0:
>- The man-page for 'sz' (send zmodem) on unix systems says that if
>  you use the -a option NLs are to be converted to CR/NL, and that
>  for Zmodem, the receiving side is responsible for it.  PCPLUS doesn't
>  do this line-end translation.  Workarounds: use DSZ like I did on
>  PCPLUS 1.x.  Usually I'm downloading binary files, so it matters
>  less.

I reported this to Datastorm about two months ago.  Their response was
non-committal at best.  (Actually I think the tech support rep I spoke to
didn't know diddly about Zmodem.)  Another workaround is the unix2dos program
which converts text files from unix format to MS-DOS format.

I can't find a way to select the -e (escape non-Ascii characters) mode when
sending from Procomm 2.0, either.

>Are there any other problems ?  Am I the only one with these problems ?

Well, the Adds 60 and Adds 90 terminal emulations aren't quite replacements
for the Adds Viewpoint emulation in earlier versions.  On our NCR system,
which supports ONLY Adds Viewpoint, the first line of every screen doesn't get
displayed.  This too was reported to Datastorm without much effect.

I've had some other Zmodem problems (most serious: breaking the connection
when a transfer aborts or is cancelled), but I'm not sure if these are being
caused by Procomm or by the Zmodem on the other side.
-------
Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu             T*His_iS#MY%.SIg oN DrUGs!@%#@%
UUCP:      tssi!nolan                       Any questions?

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/21/91)

:
>Are there any other problems ?  Am I the only one with these problems ?
:

I don't have a similar accurate list of problems, but if users are
interested, I've written a subjective comparison of some telecomm
programs in /pc/ts/tsfaq19b.arc (available from our site by
anonymous ftp).  My views on Procomm Plus 2.0 are far from
enthusiastic.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (04/21/91)

In article <91110.135957DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu>, Doug Sewell <DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu>
says:

>Some problems we've found with PCPLUS 2.0:
>  (lots of important stuff deleted).
>
>Are there any other problems ?  Am I the only one with these problems ?
(This may not be fair since I work with the original poster - but here's
some more I have since found).

The Wyse 50 emulator won't allow you to dial and/or will freeze up
the entire program if it sees ANY line noise.

The fact that ctrl-] toggles the scoreboard is really irritating.  This
keystroke is a common telnet escape sequence and is often not changeable
from telnet.  Since it is not changeable in PCPLUS, I have to use a
different program when telneting to certain sites.... BOO, HISS.

I would love to report all the noted complaints, but after 50 attempts
our university secretary refuses to keep trying to get through to
technical support.  How did anyone else get through?

Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysub.ysu.edu
   (virtual witty saying here)

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (04/22/91)

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:

>In article <91110.135957DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu>, Doug Sewell <DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu>
>says:
>
>The fact that ctrl-] toggles the scoreboard is really irritating.  This
>keystroke is a common telnet escape sequence and is often not changeable

  I got ahold of DataStorm about this and the other Ctrl sequence they use for
  local control: <ctrl>\ Their answer was, as a previous reply said, non-
  committal at best.  They said to use a macro or defined F-key if I REALLY
  needed to use those key sequences... This tact doesn't seem to work for me,
  however, but then it may be me...

  Although PCPLUS 2.0 is a nice package, the faults listed in this thread
  pale in comparison to their lack of proper suppport.  To me, when I pay
  money for a software package and get lousy support, that relates to
  buying a car with no service mechanic available.  Granted, the investment
  is not the same, but I would not tolerate such things with non-software
  products, why should I tolerate it in software.

  Enough of the soapbox, eh?

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

marv@netcom.COM (Marvin Raab) (04/22/91)

In article <91111.110317TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu> TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
>I would love to report all the noted complaints, but after 50 attempts
>our university secretary refuses to keep trying to get through to
>technical support.  How did anyone else get through?

   I just received (on Sat.) a  "How are we doing" type survey from
Datastorm in which they ask a few questions on the quality of
their tech support. I indicated the length of 'busy signals"

                -marvin

--
Marvin Raab
marv@limbo.intuitive.com                   Mountain View, CA 94040

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (04/27/91)

I, too, purchased PCPlus 2.0 upgrade. 1.1b is great, 2.0 would be better,
right? WRONG!  My major gripe is with the Kermit implementation in 2.0.
On our system, I need to do a lot of file up/download via Kermit (IBM VM/CMS)
Kermit from PCPlus 1.1b works fine; Kermit in PCPlus 2.0 locks up my
system. I've gone back to 1.1b.
BobM, PSU-Hbg

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/27/91)

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>I, too, purchased PCPlus 2.0 upgrade. 1.1b is great, 2.0 would be better,
>right? WRONG!  My major gripe is with the Kermit implementation in 2.0.
>On our system, I need to do a lot of file up/download via Kermit (IBM VM/CMS)
>Kermit from PCPlus 1.1b works fine; Kermit in PCPlus 2.0 locks up my
>system. I've gone back to 1.1b.

I had the exact opposite experience with PCPLUS 2.0 and Kermit.  It works a lot
better for me than the previous release.  Try fiddling around with the
timeout and retry parameters at the IBM VM/CMS end and see if that helps
any.  If I had any complaint, it would be that the program does not permit
the user to modify the 'interesting' kermit parameters.  PC-Kermit
(free from Columbia Univ.) is a very good kermit implementation that permits
fiddling around with virtually every parameter (what else would you expect?)
but unfortunately it doesn't have nearly the bells and whistles in terms of
terminal emulation support, dialing support, etc.

Incidentally, in an earlier post I indicated that PCPLUS 2.0 has a problem
with ADDS emulation modes.  Phil James, customer support mgr for Datastorm,
informed me earlier today that this problem has been fixed and will be in
a maintenance release.  He also acknowledged the non-conversion of text
files in Zmodem, but said this is not _required_ in the protocol.  (Anybody
know of another Zmodem implementation that doesn't do it?)
-------

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (04/27/91)

In article <nolan.672735285@helios>, nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) says:

>RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>
>>I, too, purchased PCPlus 2.0 upgrade. 1.1b is great, 2.0 would be better,
>>right? WRONG!  My major gripe is with the Kermit implementation in 2.0.
>>On our system, I need to do a lot of file up/download via Kermit (IBM VM/CMS)
>>Kermit from PCPlus 1.1b works fine; Kermit in PCPlus 2.0 locks up my
>>system. I've gone back to 1.1b.
>
>I had the exact opposite experience with PCPLUS 2.0 and Kermit.  It works a
>lot
>better for me than the previous release.  Try fiddling around with the
>terminal emulation support, dialing support, etc.
> (lots o' stuff deleted)

From a simpler perspective, make sure that the kermit.rte file is
on your working copy and directly accessible for PCPLUS.  The manual
does not indicate that this file is needed, but it sure is!  I too
found out the hard way.

>Incidentally, in an earlier post I indicated that PCPLUS 2.0 has a problem
>with ADDS emulation modes.  Phil James, customer support mgr for Datastorm,
>informed me earlier today that this problem has been fixed and will be in
>a maintenance release.

Any word on the flaws in the Wyse 50 emulation (it freezes PCPLUS
if it encounters any line noise)?

>He also acknowledged the non-conversion of text
>files in Zmodem, but said this is not _required_ in the protocol.  (Anybody
>know of another Zmodem implementation that doesn't do it?)
>-------
ALL other releases os Zmodem do the text conversion and it is part
of the mandated implementation on UNIX.  It is also in the original
documentation from the writer of Zmodem (sorry I can never remember
your name).  Sounds like you got a "we don't know how to do it
answer."  And the short answer is No, I have never seen nor heard
of any implementation that doesn't do the ascii conversion.

On a positive note, I did get a note from a PCPLUS developer via
mail from CompuServe, so someone has been passing this stuff along
to that forum.  He told me to call him and he would have a technical
person call me back.  The downside here is that I am not in my office
all 10 hours per day at work,
and if he calls when I'm not in - I have gained nothing.  I can
write him back at CompuServe, but he seems to NOT want that.
I found this VERY confusing - we all know these are legitimate
bugs in the product, why not just let us tell him instead of getting
a call from another support person who is going to give us "we
aren't going to do that" answers.  I don't mean to rant and rave
here, but there are expeditious ways of handling these things,
why not use them DataStorm?  You guys were never like this
before.....

Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysub.ysu.edu