[comp.os.msdos.apps] Lotus 1-2-3 question: left-justified dollar signs?

sadoyama@argon.berkeley.edu (Eric Sadoyama) (04/24/91)

It's annual budget time again, and this year I've resolved to find this out:
how do I get the dollar signs in my 1-2-3 spreadsheet to line up on the left
hand side of the column?

-Eric Sadoyama

ndh@stl.stc.co.uk (Neale D Hind ) (04/26/91)

In the referenced article sadoyama@argon.berkeley.edu (Eric Sadoyama) writes:
>It's annual budget time again, and this year I've resolved to find this out:
>how do I get the dollar signs in my 1-2-3 spreadsheet to line up on the left
>hand side of the column?

The easy way:
-------------
1: Format your cells as comma (NOT currency) format.
2: Insert a column (of width 1) to the left of all cells that you
   want to precede with a dollar sign
3: Enter dollar signs (as labels) into the new column next to every
   number.

The hard way:
-------------
Do lots of clever string manipulation and character counting code
surrounding every formula/value
| Neale D. Hind                    | Email: ndh@stl.stc.co.uk    |
| Manager, Financial Planning      | Phone: +44 279 429531 x3613 |
| BNR Europe Limited               | Fax  : +44 279 441551       |
| London Road, HARLOW              | ITN  : 782-3613             |
| Essex  CM17 9NA, United Kingdom  | Telex: 81151 STL HW G       |

brooksp@hpcc01.HP.COM (Peter Brooks) (05/01/91)

I assume that you want output that looks like:

      widget 1;  $1,000,000.00
      widget 2   $    1,000.00
      pizza      $       12.99

If that assumption is really valid, then make a column for the
dollar sign.  If that's not what you want, I don't know.

Pete Brooks  pb@hpocia.sj.hp.com