[comp.os.msdos.apps] database query

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) (04/23/91)

Hi there.  I need some help choosing a proper database system for my
mixed Mac/PC Novell Netware network.  Right now I have some databases
running on the Mac using Fourth Dimension.

The problems:

1) We have more PCs than Macs, and we need more data entry stations, so
I'd like to use some of the PCs.

2) Our book-keeper would rather use a PC

So, I want to have both PC and Mac front-ends for the same databases.  I know
FOX has both PC and Mac progs, but I don't like the Mac version.

What I've been thinking about is using Paradox and 4D running off an
SQL engine.  Unfortunately, I don't know if this is possible, or what type
of SQL I could run off of Netware, or how I'd work it.

Would a program like Oracle be appropriate here?  If you have any insights,
please email me.  Most helpful answer wins a free subscription to
The Harvard Crimson, the newspaper I help manage.  Thanks.

Michael A. Schoen
schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu

cy@dbase.a-t.com (Cy Shuster) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr22.192910.638@husc3.harvard.edu> schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) writes:
>Hi there.  I need some help choosing a proper database system for my
>mixed Mac/PC Novell Netware network.  Right now I have some databases
>running on the Mac using Fourth Dimension.
>
>The problems:
>
>1) We have more PCs than Macs, and we need more data entry stations, so
>I'd like to use some of the PCs.
>
>2) Our book-keeper would rather use a PC
>
>So, I want to have both PC and Mac front-ends for the same databases.  I know
>FOX has both PC and Mac progs, but I don't like the Mac version.

Well, if you don't like FoxBase+/Mac, you probably won't like this
suggestion either, but did you know that we just released (last month)
dBASE IV RunTime PLUS for Macintosh, which is not only compatible
with .DBFs and .PRGs created on the PC, but is also binary compatible
with .DBOs compiled on the PC, and also supports multiuser file
sharing with files located on PC servers? dBASE IV is also released
on two other platforms: Sun OS and VAX/VMS.

--Cy Shuster--
cy@dbase.a-t.com
DISCLAIMER: I'm a co-author.