[comp.os.msdos.apps] WordPerfect and postscript files

fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) (05/02/91)

	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
wondering if anyone could help me.
	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  With ps files generated by lotus
freelance the problem is even worse as I get nothing at all.
	Then I decided to try ami pro.  Everything came out perfect.  However,
I would rather not import all my files to ami pro as formating is lost and for
large documents it would be tedious to reformat them.  In addition, ami pro
does not import equations (it has no equation editor of its own anyway).
	I called the tech guys at wordperfect and the only answer they had
was that there might be problems in taking a file from one platform to another
(dos to unix).
	Has anyone encountered problems fo this sort?  Any help is appreciated.
	Please send answers via e-mail to fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu or post.
	Thanks in advanced.

.

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) (05/02/91)

In article <s_2gwwc@rpi.edu> fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:

>	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
>wondering if anyone could help me.
> [stuff deleted, obviously]

That's really strange.  I never had problems like that, and I also
use sun (running sunos 4.1) and also this vax (running 4.3) I'm
writing this article from.  I also use Moke v1.1 and use jenscript
and print from the sun, attached to apple laserwriter without any
problems.  The sun is, among its activities, a server to 5-6 (I
forget how many) pc's running pc-nfs, and all connected via ethernet
and connected to the main campus.

To print wp ps files on this machine, I use a small program provided
by the system operaters called wplaser (see below):

---------------------------CUT--------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
#	wplaser
#
#	This script is for MS-DOS WordPerfect PostScript files.
#	A "%!PS-Adobe-" is added to the start of each file.
#	Writes to standard output.
#	2 Sept 87
#
#   Modification History
#	KHE	October, 1987   UCSD. Coverted from csh to sh and
#				added filename error checking
#
stdinput=0				# initialize flag

if [ $# -gt 0 ] 			# check for arguments (file names)
then
	filelist=$*
else
	cat > /tmp/wplaser$$		# otherwise read from std input
	filelist=/tmp/wplaser$$
	stdinput=1			# set flag on
fi

for file in $filelist
do

if test -r $file
then
    # Add a %!PS-Adobe to the head of each file.

	echo %\!PS-Adobe- | cat - $file | tr -d '\004'

else				# filename was bad

	echo "$0: cannot access $file" 1>&2

fi

if test $stdinput -eq 0
then
	shift			# shift right to next argument
else
	exit 0			# exit after 1 file (std input)
fi

done				# end of for-do loop

exit 0				# normal exit
---------------------CUT-----------------------------------------

I do believe there is something going wrong when you transfer your
wp file to your unix machine.
--

Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     kimbob@ucsd.edu

fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) (05/03/91)

	Thank you to all the responses.  It is really nice to find people
who like to help others.
	The solution to my problem was rather simple.  In using kermit to
transfer the files I neglected to make sure that the host was setup to
receive the file as binary.  In kermit this is done by the "-i" switch to
allow the file to be sent unaltered.  This solved my WP problems.  However,
the Ami Pro ps file did not have any problems even though the file was
not of the same size after transfering.  I looked at the ps files generated
by WP and Ami Pro and they looked rather different.  Isn't postscript language
standardized so that two ps files for a given document generated by different
software be the same?
	Again, thank you everyone for your help.

Felix

baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin) (05/03/91)

In the referenced article, fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:
>	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
>wondering if anyone could help me.
>	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
>by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
>has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
>get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  With ps files generated by lotus
>freelance the problem is even worse as I get nothing at all.
>	I called the tech guys at wordperfect and the only answer they had
>was that there might be problems in taking a file from one platform to another
>(dos to unix).

If that was literally the only answer they had, they might be right, but
they were brain-dead not to suggest the following:

If you have a bit-mapped image of some kind (usually from some imported
graphic, especially a scanned image), your PS file can have some very, very
long lines.  You don't say whether this is the case, but it's worth looking
into.

How is this problem solved?  Quite easily:  just set your file type to
"binary" instead of "ascii"--this shouldn't cause any problems with ASCII
files, and will take care of any problems with too-long records in your
transfer.  Again, you don't say what type of "upload" you use, but I ftp
files this way several times a day, both to a VAX/VMS system and a Sun
print server.

If *that* isn't the problem, the following PostScript program may be
helpful to you.  I got it off the net a while back, and it has solved many
problems for me.  Just send it to your printer as if you were printing
it (it will produce no output), and from then until the next time the
printer is shut off, it will produce output describing the PS error whenever
a print job fails due to a PS syntax error.  (I'm just posting it because
it's quite short, and extremely helpful.)

Good luck!  The program follows my sig:
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _,_J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to
From: woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: Debugging advice needed
Date: 25 Jan 90 04:29:10 GMT

-----CUT HERE-------------------------------
%!
% lib/ehandler.ps -- Downloaded Error Break-page handler
% Copyright (c) 1984 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
% assumes serverloop password is the default one
/$brkpage where
{pop(Error Handler in place - not loaded again\n)print flush stop}
{serverdict begin statusdict begin 0 checkpassword
 {(Error Handler downloaded.\n)print flush 0 exitserver}
 {(Bad Password on loading error handler!!!\n)print flush}ifelse
 end%statusdict
}ifelse
/$brkpage 64 dict def $brkpage begin
/prnt
 {dup type/stringtype ne{=string cvs}if dup length 6 mul/tx exch def/ty 10 def
  currentpoint/toy exch def/tox exch def 1 setgray newpath
  tox toy 2 sub moveto 0 ty rlineto tx 0 rlineto 0 ty neg rlineto
  closepath fill tox toy moveto 0 setgray show}bind def
/nl{currentpoint exch pop lmargin exch moveto 0 -10 rmoveto}def
/=={/cp 0 def typeprint nl}def
/typeprint{dup type exec}readonly def
/lmargin 72 def
/rmargin 72 def
/tprint
   {dup length cp add rmargin gt{nl/cp 0 def}if
    dup length cp add/cp exch def prnt}readonly def
/cvsprint{=string cvs tprint( )tprint}readonly def
/integertype{cvsprint}readonly def
/realtype{cvsprint}readonly def
/booleantype{cvsprint}readonly def
/operatortype{(--)tprint =string cvs tprint(--)tprint}readonly def
/marktype{pop(-mark- )tprint}readonly def
/dicttype{pop(-dictionary- )tprint}readonly def
/nulltype{pop(-null- )tprint}readonly def
/filetype{pop(-filestream- )tprint}readonly def
/savetype{pop(-savelevel- )tprint}readonly def
/fonttype{pop(-fontid- )tprint}readonly def
/nametype{dup xcheck not{(/)tprint}if cvsprint}readonly def
/stringtype
 {dup rcheck{(\()tprint tprint(\))tprint}{pop(-string- )tprint}ifelse
 }readonly def
/arraytype
 {dup rcheck{dup xcheck
  {({)tprint{typeprint}forall(})tprint}
  {([)tprint{typeprint}forall(])tprint}ifelse}{pop(-array- )tprint}ifelse
 }readonly def
/courier/Courier findfont 10 scalefont def
end %$brkpage
errordict/handleerror
 {systemdict begin $error begin $brkpage begin newerror
   {/newerror false store grestoreall initgraphics courier setfont
    lmargin 720 moveto(ERROR: )prnt errorname prnt
    nl(OFFENDING COMMAND: )prnt/command load prnt
    nl nl(STACK:)prnt nl nl $error/ostack get aload length{==}repeat
    systemdict/showpage get exec(%%[ Error: )print
    errorname =print(; OffendingCommand: )print/command
    load =print( ]%%)= flush
   }if end end end}dup 0 systemdict put dup 4 $brkpage put bind readonly put
-------------CUT HERE---------------------

Download to the printer.  This will print out apage upon an error
and show the stack.  It is the only debugging tool that I have, and I
flat could not get along without it.  I'm sure there are better versions
now.

Cheers
Woody

fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) (05/03/91)

	On my previous post I had mentioned that the solution to my problem
was using the "-i" switch in kermit.  That was by no means the only answer I
got.  It happens to be the one that worked at the time.  All the other solutions
including the one you mention, Mr. Baldwing, probably work as well.  I will
cetainly keep in mind all the suggestions I got in the event I get the same
problem again in the future.

Felix