[comp.os.msdos.apps] Speed Disk on IDE Drives?

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (02/17/91)

Hi,

My question is about using Norton Speed Disk or similar programs on my 200 MB
IDE hard disk.  From what I know of IDE disks, they use translating controllers
which do not necessarily arrange data on the disk the way that DOS thinks it
does (ie: setup says disk has < 1024 tracks or 17 SPT for compatibility, when
it actually differs).  The question I have is:  Will this affect a program
like Speed Disk in the sense that what it thinks is making contiguous sectors
of a file is actually scattering the file about the disk, possibly worse than
originally?

Thanks,
Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/19/91)

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:

>My question is about using Norton Speed Disk or similar programs on my 200 MB

I use Norton 5.0 SD on my Conner 3184 82Meg IDE regularly with no noticeable
problems - it seems to do as promised...

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (05/12/91)

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:

>My question is about using Norton Speed Disk or similar programs on my 200 MB
>IDE hard disk.  From what I know of IDE disks, they use translating controllers

The possible problems with this are very distinct.  While I have no proof per
se, I have some experiences you may analize however you like, and draw your
own conclusions.

In one of our labs, we have about 28 PCs with MiniScribe 40M IDE drives.  We
have used Norton SD 5.0 on them, and, whether by coincidence or not, about
5 or 6 of the machines have had either total HD failure or a multitude of
sectors suddenly go bad.  I would like to note at this point the drives have
been in use about 1.5 years, with heavy use.  They are also the hottest
running drives I have ever encountered.

On the flip side, I have a Conner 80M IDE in the machine in my office, and
have used SD and the other Norton 5.0 utils on it regularly with no troubles
and slight improvements in some file intensive operations after running SD.

As I said, draw your own conclusions, as I have not yet drawn my own.
Constructive addition to this thread would be appreciated.

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) (05/15/91)

I haven't tried SD 5, but I use PC-Tools' compress without problems on my IDE.
It shouldn't cause any problems to use a de-fragmentation utility as it
_should_ work on a high enough level that it doesn't mess with the controller.

Rob
\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet: Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.bc.ca /
\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:    76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn  /

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) (05/15/91)

In article <mamos.673993698@uafhp> mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:
>daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:
>

>>My question is about using Norton Speed Disk or similar programs on my 200 MB
>>IDE hard disk.  From what I know of IDE disks, they use translating controllers

I had a problem with SD 5.0 on my machine once, it silently trashed a
*lot* of vital files.  Never used it since.

Maybe it just couldn't handle my s.w/h.w combination?
(PS/2 model 70, DOS 4.01, QEMM, 4DOS, super-pc-kwik)
Any ideas?

I won't go near SD 5.0 until i'm sure it works ok.

Thanx
        Alex.

sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr w.j. ho) (05/15/91)

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) writes:

>In article <mamos.673993698@uafhp> mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:
>>daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:
>>

>>>My question is about using Norton Speed Disk or similar programs on my 200 MB
>>>IDE hard disk.  From what I know of IDE disks, they use translating controllers

>I had a problem with SD 5.0 on my machine once, it silently trashed a
>*lot* of vital files.  Never used it since.

>Maybe it just couldn't handle my s.w/h.w combination?
>(PS/2 model 70, DOS 4.01, QEMM, 4DOS, super-pc-kwik)
>Any ideas?

>I won't go near SD 5.0 until i'm sure it works ok.

It works for my Conner 100 MByte HDisk with DOS 4.01, smartdrv.sys,
himem.sys, and without partition.
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Wey Jing Ho   Tel: 61-3-5732567   E-mail : sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au  ^

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (05/16/91)

In article <5871@mindlink.bc.ca>, Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas)
says:

>I haven't tried SD 5, but I use PC-Tools' compress without problems on my IDE.
>It shouldn't cause any problems to use a de-fragmentation utility as it
>_should_ work on a high enough level that it doesn't mess with the controller.

If I recall correctly, I have read that SD (and PC-Tools version) will
work correctly on the Connor IDE drives, but may cause disastrous
results on IDE drives from other manufacturers.  I could be wrong on
this, but I did write a note in my "tips & tricks" file not to EVER
do SD on an IDE drive.  I'll look for the reference in the meantime....

Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysu.edu