[comp.os.msdos.apps] Will WP 5.1 use a co-processor?

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (05/13/91)

Can anyone say authoritatively whether or not WP 5.1 will use a math
coprocessor if one is present?  I'm drafting some preliminary
specifications for a new system and this will be very useful
information.  At present I'm editing a series of rather large
documents that are heavily laden with graphics boxes using multiple
fonts, and other things that makes WP really bog down as I scroll
through them (especially on my 8 MHz 8088 at home!).  I basically
would like to know if a 386SX/16 with coprocessor will perform better
in this context than a 386/25 without.

Thanks in advance.
--
Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (05/14/91)

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:

>Can anyone say authoritatively whether or not WP 5.1 will use a math
>coprocessor if one is present?  I'm drafting some preliminary
>specifications for a new system and this will be very useful
>information.  At present I'm editing a series of rather large
>documents that are heavily laden with graphics boxes using multiple
>fonts, and other things that makes WP really bog down as I scroll
>through them (especially on my 8 MHz 8088 at home!).  I basically
>would like to know if a 386SX/16 with coprocessor will perform better
>in this context than a 386/25 without.

Sorry, I'm no authority, but I can't conceivably imagine what WP _could_
use a coprocessor for, even if its writers wanted to.  I would be
staggered if there is even one floating point calculation anywhere in
the entire program.

--
Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:

>isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:

>>I basically
>>would like to know if a 386SX/16 with coprocessor will perform better
>>in this context than a 386/25 without.

BTW, the single most important factor in getting WP to speed up is
having extra memory.  A suitably-configured EMS or RAM disk has a
greater effect than processor speed.  If cost is a factor, this point
might be worth investigating.  (WP slushes to disk a lot on large files.)

My 25MHz PC took 4 secs to get through a 160K file, but with the EMS
disabled, it took about 12 secs per page.

--

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (05/14/91)

From: ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gail Gurman)

Yes, it does.  In fact I really wish I had one.  It supposedly (since I
don't have one I can't verify) increases the speed of various operations,
including the snail-like "view document" feature.

Gail
Send mail to:	ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (05/15/91)

> isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
> Sorry, I'm no authority, but I can't conceivably imagine what WP _could_
> use a coprocessor for,...

The most obvious use of a math coprocessor would be for graphics.
Calculating the screen output could be sped up using a math  chip.
Determining point size for printing and printing any of the fancy
fonts may also benefit?  Who knows.  Graphics though, can always
benefit.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........                    | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson (wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu | ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

pickles@ottsun1.uucp (Clive Pickles) (05/15/91)

In article <13596@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDUIn
 article <isaacso.674093730@copper> isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
 (Eric J. Isaacson) writes: writes:
>>coprocessor if one is present?  I'm drafting some preliminary
>>specifications for a new system and this will be very useful
>>information.
>From: ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gail Gurman)
>
>Yes, it does.  In fact I really wish I had one.  It supposedly (since I
>don't have one I can't verify) increases the speed of various operations,
>including the snail-like "view document" feature.
>
>Gail

Sorry, no it doesn't.  Just got off the phone with a WordPerfect support
person, who confirmed this.  We have a lot of 386 machines here, and
the ones WITH a co-processor don't do anything faster than the ones
without (in WP).

Clive

= Clive Pickles - Systems Administrator MPR Teltech Ltd. (Ottawa) =
= Phone: (613) 787-4159 ------------------ E-mail: pickles@mpr.ca =

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (05/15/91)

From article <s64421.674226743@zeus>, by s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron):
> s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:
> BTW, the single most important factor in getting WP to speed up is
> having extra memory.  A suitably-configured EMS or RAM disk has a
> greater effect than processor speed.  If cost is a factor, this point
> might be worth investigating.  (WP slushes to disk a lot on large files.)
>
> My 25MHz PC took 4 secs to get through a 160K file, but with the EMS
> disabled, it took about 12 secs per page.

You bet yours...
If you edit large files (like 0.5meg with "images on disk") and
have some extended memory to spare, use the VDISK.SYS program that
comes with the DOS (ver 3.3) as

in CONFIG.SYS:
c:\dos\vdisk.sys e=1024

which will give you 1meg of ram disk.  If you have two (logical)
hard drives (C: and D: drives), then your ram disk should be E: drive.
To make the ram disk work for you in WP5.1, execute WP with the
following parameter:

WP /d-E:\

This will cause the temporary buffer files to go into the ram disk,
causing very fast editing.

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (05/15/91)

In article <isaacso.674093730@copper>, isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
> Can anyone say authoritatively whether or not WP 5.1 will use a math
> coprocessor if one is present?  I'm drafting some preliminary
> specifications for a new system and this will be very useful
> information.  At present I'm editing a series of rather large
> documents that are heavily laden with graphics boxes using multiple
> fonts, and other things that makes WP really bog down as I scroll
> through them (especially on my 8 MHz 8088 at home!).  I basically
> would like to know if a 386SX/16 with coprocessor will perform better
> in this context than a 386/25 without.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
> School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
> Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
> (812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --

I just called Wordperfect support (got through in 30 seconds) and asked them
since I was also curious. They said it can have an effect on View Document
mode, but the effect is pretty minor. It would not speed anything else up.
they said the effect was pretty insignificant.

I also agree with others that diskcaching really helps as does a ram disk
if you configure WP to use it.

mike benedik
dept. biochemistry
university of houston
benedik@uh.edu

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (05/16/91)

From article <3736@naucse.cse.nau.edu>, by wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson):
>> isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
>> Sorry, I'm no authority, but I can't conceivably imagine what WP _could_
>> use a coprocessor for,...
>>

> The most obvious use of a math coprocessor would be for graphics.
> Calculating the screen output could be sped up using a math  chip.
> Determining point size for printing and printing any of the fancy
> fonts may also benefit?  Who knows.  Graphics though, can always
> benefit.

Hhhmmm... do you mean only vector graphics, or both vector and raster.
I use a lot of raster graphics (scanned or otherwise) but virtually
no vector graphics, partly because I don't have the spec to create
vector files to feed into WP51 (could anyone give a simple description?
by email, I know there is way to get from WP but it is too much work
for a file spec).  Do you have the speedup ratio (i.e. is it worth
the money?).

kooijman@duteca (kooijman) (05/16/91)

You all have it wrong.
The WP documentation clearly says that a coprocessor will not be
used by WP. For the operations that could use floating point math they
use fixed point math, i.e. integers, to make the program as fast as
possible for all machines with or without coprocessor.

Richard.

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (05/16/91)

In article <s64421.674224794@zeus> s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:
>isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
>
>>Can anyone say authoritatively whether or not WP 5.1 will use a math
>>coprocessor if one is present?  I'm drafting some preliminary
>>specifications for a new system and this will be very useful
>>information.  At present I'm editing a series of rather large
>>documents that are heavily laden with graphics boxes using multiple
>>fonts, and other things that makes WP really bog down as I scroll
>>through them (especially on my 8 MHz 8088 at home!).  I basically
>>would like to know if a 386SX/16 with coprocessor will perform better
>>in this context than a 386/25 without.
>
>Sorry, I'm no authority, but I can't conceivably imagine what WP _could_
>use a coprocessor for, even if its writers wanted to.  I would be
>staggered if there is even one floating point calculation anywhere in
>the entire program.

Well, look at those graphics routines in WP 5.1 (rescaling, resiszing and
rotating) can you do stuff like this whitout floating point?

// Gunnar

				Gunnar Dahlstrom
			Chalmers University of Technology
			    Div. Building Technology