[comp.os.msdos.apps] WP5.1 and Ramdrive

winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu (Charles Holden Winstead) (05/15/91)

When I use WP and want to get a print out, I write to a postscript file,
and lpr it to a network printer.  Under the "regular" WP set up, this took
a LONG TIME to create the postscript files if I had any equations ( I print
my equations as graphics).  However, I now create a 3 Meg Ramdrive, copy all
the relevant WP programs to it, and print from there.  It works orders of
magnitude faster, doesn't chew up my disk drive, and makes editing and pre-
viewing much more bearable.  I don't know if WP has improved the equation
part of their program for Windows, but I hope so.  Until then, I'll be doing
this.  Oh, If you try this, make sure that you set your automatic backup files
to go to a physical drive instead of the ramdrive -just in case.

-Chuck

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.110650.21582@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:

>When I use WP and want to get a print out, I write to a postscript file,
>and lpr it to a network printer.  Under the "regular" WP set up, this took
>a LONG TIME to create the postscript files if I had any equations ( I print
>my equations as graphics).  However, I now create a 3 Meg Ramdrive, copy all
>the relevant WP programs to it, and print from there.  It works orders of
>magnitude faster, doesn't chew up my disk drive, and makes editing and pre-
>viewing much more bearable.  I don't know if WP has improved the equation
>part of their program for Windows, but I hope so.  Until then, I'll be doing
>this.  Oh, If you try this, make sure that you set your automatic backup files
>to go to a physical drive instead of the ramdrive -just in case.
>
>-Chuck

I think you don't need to copy all WP file to your ramdisk, just tell WP to
put temporary files on your ramdisk  this speed up WP allmost as fast than
if you copy your WP files to ramdisk. And you have all ramdisk free for
yor work!!

To do this is simple just use a switch when you start WP, i don't remember
it right know but take a look in the manual.

// Gunnar

				Gunnar Dahlstrom
			Chalmers University of Technology
			    Div. Building Technology
			   412 96 Gothenburg,  Sweden
			E-Mail:  dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.110650.21582@fs7.ece.cmu.edu>, winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:

> [...]  However, I now create a 3 Meg Ramdrive, copy all
> the relevant WP programs to it, and print from there.  It works orders of
> magnitude faster, doesn't chew up my disk drive, and makes editing and pre-
> viewing much more bearable.  [...]

This works, of course, but you might want to try the following:

- Use an Extended Memory Manager to convert, say, 2Mb of your extended memory
to expanded memory.  WP will be using it for workspace, you can even ask WP
to load his main overlay into memory with the /r switch.

- Use the remaining extended memory to create a Ramdrive (you might also create
a Ramdrive in expanded memory, check your manual).  You don't really need to
*copy* WP's files there, as you only want WP to use it for his temporary files.
This is obtained by the /d-<directory> command-line switch (e.g. wp /d-D:\).

I stayed with WP 4.2 until I had enough memory for the beast.  If you can't
give it some 500kb of conventional and about 1Mb of expanded memory, you'll
pay the extra features with lots of time...  One last thing about printing:
whenever you print the current document, WP creates a formatted copy of it
in his temporary directory (the message "WP is using ..." in the start-up
screen, which you can select with the /d switch).  If this directory is not
a fast disk (the worse being a diskette), you'd better save your documents
as formatted and print from disk.  Even then, it's a good idea to unload any
documents to release as much memory as possible.

The moral: avoid memory swapping; if you can't, have a fast swapping area.

Good luck,

Markus G. Fischer, Dept of Anthropology, Geneva CH  (fisher@sc2a.unige.ch)