[comp.os.msdos.apps] looking for cut/paste utilities

brian@king.csd.mot.com (05/01/91)

I need a couple of utilities, or perhaps one utility that serves two
purposes.  What I want is:

(1) A utility which will allow me to selectively cut text from the screen
    and then paste it into the keyboard buffer.  This utility needs to be
	a TSR, and compact both in memory use and disk footprint.  I am not
	running any kind of windows and I'm not using a mouse -- I just want
	to be able to grab rectangular areas of text from a CGA screen, selected
	using cursor keys and whatever else is necessary, and then stuff it into
	the keyboard stream of some other application later.  It would be nice
	if it could handle multiple lines of text nicely, like by adding CR/LFs.

(2) A utility which will allow me to stuff the keyboard with strings selected
    from a menu.  What I'd like is a TSR which pops up a menu of text strings
	which, when selected, get stuffed into the input stream.  It would be
	nice if the menu could list the strings by some kind of identifier other
	than by the string content itself.  Again, small memory and disk usage is
	required.  No windows, no mouse.

Does anyone know of such a utility or utilities?  I'd buy it (although not for
a whole lot of money), but I'd rather get something in the PD.  I don't have
FTP access to the Internet, so I'd appreciate it if pointers included a mail
server address.

Thanks,
--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

tepe@uservx.afwl.af.mil (05/18/91)

In article <3825@motcsd.csd.mot.com>, brian@king.csd.mot.com writes:
> I need a couple of utilities, or perhaps one utility that serves two
> purposes.  What I want is:
>
> (1) A utility which will allow me to selectively cut text from the screen
>     and then paste it into the keyboard buffer.  This utility needs to be
> 	a TSR, and compact both in memory use and disk footprint.  I am not
> 	running any kind of windows and I'm not using a mouse -- I just want
> 	to be able to grab rectangular areas of text from a CGA screen, selected
> 	using cursor keys and whatever else is necessary, and then stuff it into
> 	the keyboard stream of some other application later.  It would be nice
> 	if it could handle multiple lines of text nicely, like by adding CR/LFs.
>
> (2) A utility which will allow me to stuff the keyboard with strings selected
>     from a menu.  What I'd like is a TSR which pops up a menu of text strings
> 	which, when selected, get stuffed into the input stream.  It would be
> 	nice if the menu could list the strings by some kind of identifier other
> 	than by the string content itself.  Again, small memory and disk usage is
> 	required.  No windows, no mouse.
>
> Does anyone know of such a utility or utilities?  I'd buy it (although not for
> a whole lot of money), but I'd rather get something in the PD.  I don't have
> FTP access to the Internet, so I'd appreciate it if pointers included a mail
> server address.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> -Brian Smithson
>  Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division
>  10700 N. De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA, (408)366-4104
>  brian@csd.mot.com, {apple | pyramid}!motcsd!brian
Brian,

Try Snipper.com from PC Magazine.  I think it will fit the bill for you.  The
instructions are sparce for the utility but if you can find reference to the
magazine issue in which it was covered, I,m sure you will do ok.  You can find
the file on COMPUSERV under the PCMAGNET.

Les