[comp.os.msdos.apps] Quattro Pro question

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (05/14/91)

I'm running Quattro Pro on an old AT with 512K, which isn't really
enough memory for it to run well.  Even with very small spreadsheets,
the program is constantly writing and retrieving data to the hard
disk.  I have a lot of non-expanded, non-extended memory that I'm
using for a large ram disk.  I'd like Quattro to use the ram disk
for its temporary storage but I can't figure out how to specify
the temporary storage area.  I would just move the whole program
to the ram disk if there was room, but there isn't.  Any suggestions?

  Glenn Stone                                      BITNET: stone@cunixc
  Columbia University            INTERNET: stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May14.150748.8396@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>I'm running Quattro Pro on an old AT with 512K, which isn't really
>enough memory for it to run well.
>I'd like Quattro to use the ram disk
>for its temporary storage but I can't figure out how to specify
>the temporary storage area.
>Any suggestions?

By temporary storage area I presume that you mean the area that
VROOM uses for temporary storage. I had the same question myself
so I called Borland. To my surprise, they said that you have no
choice. VROOM always uses the current disk. What surprised me
even more was that they said that you shouldn't use a disk cache
on this disk, even with write-through. This makes no sense. And,
what surprised me more than anything was that the guy I talked to
didn't seem to see the benefit in allowing the user to specify
which disk VROOM should use.

Although I like Borland products a lot I think they blew it on
this one. Maybe a different tech support person would have been
more enlightened.

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (05/18/91)

Try copying q.exe and the .vrm file onto the ram disk before you run q.exe
The disk swapping is not really swapping of vroomm (2 m's) blocks but probably
the reading of such blocks from the overlay file. (maybe I'm wrong but even if
I am, this method will make the current drive the ram drive.

|/
|\evin