[comp.os.msdos.apps] What is the best spreadsheet software?

yojay@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jason P. Hoffman) (05/08/91)

Does anyone know which issue of Infoworld compared Lotus 3.1, Excel 3.0, and
Quattro Pro 3.0?  I think Excel is the best with Quattro Pro a very close
second.  Is Borland coming out with a Windows version of Quattro Pro?  If they
do, Quattro Pro might just surpass Excel as the best spreadsheet package
available.

Jason P. Hoffman            | Internet:    yojay@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
University of California,   | BITNET:      yojay%b@ucscc
 San Francisco	            | UUCP:     ...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!yojay
Box 0818                    |
San Francisco, CA 94143     |

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (05/08/91)

yojay@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jason P. Hoffman) writes:

>Does anyone know which issue of Infoworld compared Lotus 3.1, Excel 3.0, and
>Quattro Pro 3.0?  I think Excel is the best with Quattro Pro a very close
>second.  Is Borland coming out with a Windows version of Quattro Pro?  If they
>do, Quattro Pro might just surpass Excel as the best spreadsheet package
>available.

Rumor has it that Borland is writing Windows versions for both Quatro-Pro and
Paradox.  Ask them and they'll just smile.

As for who is best, while I use Excel only occasionally, I hear that Wingz
beats the pants off of all these other speadsheets.

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik

sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (05/08/91)

In article <15488@darkstar.ucsc.edu> yojay@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jason P. Hoffman) writes:

>Does anyone know which issue of Infoworld compared Lotus 3.1, Excel 3.0, and
>Quattro Pro 3.0?  I think Excel is the best with Quattro Pro a very close
>second.  Is Borland coming out with a Windows version of Quattro Pro?  If they
>do, Quattro Pro might just surpass Excel as the best spreadsheet package
>available.

>Jason P. Hoffman            | Internet:    yojay@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
>University of California,   | BITNET:      yojay%b@ucscc
> San Francisco	            | UUCP:     ...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!yojay
>Box 0818                    |
>San Francisco, CA 94143     |

If I am using any machine less than a 25Mh 386 w/4Mb RAM, I would go
with Quattro Pro - any version (I use Ver.1.0, though I just ordered
Ver.3).

EXCEL 3.0 is a super program, very well designed and on a fast Windows
3.0 machine, I think I would prefer it (cut and pasting to a Word
Processor, and Graphics are features that I need in a spreadsheet.)

Lotus 3.1 is nice -but- its the only version of Lotus that surpasses
Quattro Pro ver. 1 in features (IMHO) and you need a relatively high
end machine to run it.

I have tried Lotus 3.1 and EXCEL 3.0 and use Quattro Pro 1.  I have
decided to upgrade to QP 3 rather than one of the others, because
thier support (once you get through the busy signals) is good, the
product is good, and if you qualify for the Educational Pricing....the
price cannot be beat!

I have not yet seen a head to head comparison of the three products in
any of the Mags,(PC Mag. PC World, PC Compute, or Info World) though
there is a good review of Quattro Pro in the April 29 issue of Info World.

   Stephen Guerke, Coord. Computer Resources  sguerke@brahms.udel.edu
   University of Delaware Parallel Program    stephen.guerke@mvs.udel.edu
   Georgetown, DE 19947                       ILV20078@UDELVM.UDEL.EDU

rtodd@berlioz.nsc.com (Ron Todd) (05/09/91)

Though I am short on experiance with Excel, I can say that WingZ
is one super spread sheet program.  Sheet size is 32k by 32k, only
limited by available memory/storage.  Programming and graphics are
outstatnding (wait till you see the 3d and technical graphs).  The
Windows paradigim is expertly carried over into the WingZ programming
system.  Built-in functions are 300+ in number.  It includes data-
base functions as well.  It can import WKS, WK1, SYLK, DIF, BIFF and
ASCII format work sheets and except for BIFF can save back to their
origional format.  WingZ is not new, it's been around the MAC
environment for quite a while; infact if you compare what WingZ has
to what Lotus, Excel and Quattro are adding to their environment
you will find that WingZ had it all along, WingZ was introduced to
the PC community only through Windows 3.0.  Informix does not spend
the advertizing monies that the others do so it is no suprise that
it is not as well known nor as well reviewed, a real shame given its
capabilities.

Just a satisfied user.

ccoprdg@prism.gatech.EDU (Drew Gonczi) (05/09/91)

Well I've done a little dabbling into Quattro Pro 3.0.  Of course I'm using a
25 MHz 386 (4Meg), but thats not important.  I've been quite impressed by the
WYS (what you see is what you get) mode (for VGA only).  I despise Windows,
so I'm not up on Excel for PC's.

I do, however, like QPRO3.0 on the PC better than Excel on a Mac.  The neatest
thing about Quattro is using the Graph editor.  It adds alot if not all of
the features from Excel to Q.  Of course you can take the graph you created
and paste it into the actual body of your spreadsheet.  It will also
automagically scale the graph to fit into whatever block you select.

If you want to get really fancy, just create a Spreadsheet/Graph in Quattro
and save it.   Then bring the file into Word Perfect 5.1 and add some
more text and graphics.  note: this opinion is biased due to my passionate
dislike for MS-Windows.

--
Drew Gonczi                     | "Blood follows blood and we make sure
Georgia Institute of Technology |  Life ain't for you and we're the cure"

tanu@beach.csulb.edu ( Tanu Kartawiria) (05/19/91)

#-Vmy<Eo[y