[comp.os.msdos.apps] Who's using LetterPerfect?

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (05/19/91)

so that's the question... i occasionally see this software, a product
of the WordPerfect folks, advertised ... it's about half the price of
WordPerfect, and i'm inclined to know what exactly you get for half
the bucks ...

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

spr003%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Jim Mansell) (05/21/91)

monett_s@cho006.cho.ge.com (05/23/91)

In article <udmegff3pa@ads.com>, henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch)
> so that's the question... i occasionally see this software, a product
> of the WordPerfect folks, advertised ... it's about half the price of
> WordPerfect, and i'm inclined to know what exactly you get for half
> the bucks ...

I have been using LetterPerfect for the past few months. Its name says
it all __Letter__perfect. I guess the WP folks need to make sure that we
all have a reason to by WordPerfect.

It is very good for doing letters and such but it has many important
features dropped out. It does not have any of the advanced formatting
features like styles or columns. It won't do a table of contents or an
index. It has neither the table or the math editor. The only figure
type supported is the graphic figure (no text box or user box).

It does have some macro capability (if run under the WP shell). It does
have merge. I took it home so that the family could use it. It is much
easier to explain than WordPerfect. It is OK if you have WP around so
that you can get around some of the limitations. For instance, I needed
to define a custom paper style for some stationary I use at home. LP has
a very limited form editor but I was able to create the proper form with
WP and use the resultant PRS (printer resource file with WP). It has a
good spell checker and thesaurus.

I haven't run into any bugs yet and it is so much simpler to use. I
have not needed any help from either the dealer of WP corp.  If you
already have WP and want something familiar for your home PC or laptop
then buy it as cheap as you can mail-order.  I do not think it is good
enough for a high school kid to do reports on. It really is a product
for creating letters and memos.
Steve Monett                        monett_s@cho006.cho.ge.com
GE-Fanuc; Charlottesville, VA