[comp.os.msdos.apps] KERMIT key mapping - help please

barkerc@mof.govt.nz (05/16/91)

Anybody and I mean anybody  -  KERMIT 3.0 KEYBOARD MAPPING!!

I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
two to get me going?

Look forward to hearing from anybody and I mean anybody.

Catherine Barker
PC Support Officer
Forest Research Institute
Ministry of Foresty Computer Centre
Rotorua
New Zealand

replies to: Barkerc@mof.govt.nz or post to newsgroup

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.155755.220@mof.govt.nz> barkerc@mof.govt.nz writes:

>I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
>of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
>created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
>keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
>two to get me going?

Try takeing a look at /pc/ts/tskerm24.arc kermit keyboard and other
utilities.

"The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi,
Vaasa, Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the
latter if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are
not familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to
send prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  It that case,
contact your system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you,
because unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail
server anyway.  If you are in North America first consider using an
ftp site near you to spare the overseas load.)"

In your case the nearest site is sol.deakin.oz.au which mirrors
SIMTEL20 and our site.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May16.155755.220@mof.govt.nz>, barkerc@mof.govt.nz writes:
> I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
> of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
> created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
> keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
> two to get me going?

I wrote a Kermit script to key map a 101 key keyboard. It is packaged with
my free GOLD utility, which makes NUMLOCK work as a GOLD key. The program
is available as GOLD20.ZOO (I think it's .ZOO....) from SIMTEL20 as well
as a few other places. In case of difficulty send me mail.
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Bob Eager                   | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk               | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
rde@ibmpcug.co.uk           |
100016.2770@compuserve.com  |
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/24/91)

In article <1991May16.155755.220@mof.govt.nz>, barkerc@mof.govt.nz writes:
> Anybody and I mean anybody  -  KERMIT 3.0 KEYBOARD MAPPING!!
>
> I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
> of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
> created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
> keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
> two to get me going?
>
> Look forward to hearing from anybody and I mean anybody.
>

> Catherine Barker
> PC Support Officer
> Forest Research Institute
> Ministry of Foresty Computer Centre
> Rotorua
> New Zealand
>
> replies to: Barkerc@mof.govt.nz or post to newsgroup
--------------------
Catherine, and others who may feel the same way:
	First, as the documentation accompanying MS-DOS Kermit clearly states,
the User's Manual is the book "Using MS-DOS Kermit", published by Digital
Press and Prentice Hall. Now that is hardly substandard documentation.
	Second, MS-DOS Kermit is NOT Public Domain software. It's free and
must remain so (cost recovery is ok however), but it's copyrighted (see the
startup banner).
	Third, the HELP screen says to press ? for context sensitive help.
That includes exploring each command with only the program running on the
computer for assistance. SET KEY is such a command. Try it, it's neat.
	The HELP screen also says 'Read more about it in "Using MS-DOS
Kermit"'.
	Now, on specifics of VTxxx keyboards. Try SET KEY, press Enter, then
at the prompt for a key to be defined choose a handy one, press it, at the
prompt for a definition type a query mark ("?") to get a list of possibilities.
The VTxxx keys are indentified and grouped together. For example,
	SET KEY
	 Push key to be defined: <we press F12>
	See Kermit ident for the key and it's current definition, if any
	 Enter new definition: \kdecf12
(note the leading \k to identify this as an action verb, as explained in the
help screen for Enter new definition). Verbs do complex actions. Once you
have the layout you like the SET KEY commands can be placed in a handy file
such as MSKERMIT.INI. The syntax is SET KEY \390 \kdecF12  in this example.
The book goes through this in great detail and there are many interesting
tricks one can use to make life easy, such as very rapid keyboard layout
changes and more via a command which you can name and create.
	Joe D.