[comp.os.msdos.apps] Creating .wpg file for WP 5.1

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (05/23/91)

Well, I've  RTFM'd until I'm blue in the face, and can't figure out
the answer to this.  So perhaps one of the experts will be good enough
to give some advice.

My problem is this: I'm trying to create a letterhead for use with
WordPerfect 5.1.  I have it all perfect except for a little drawing
which goes in one corner.  There are lots of .wpg files around, but
none of them with this little drawing.  So I have to create a new one.
The book says that I can create a bitmap with PC Paintbrush.  However,
I don't have PC Paintbrush, and certainly don't want to buy it just
to create one little drawing.

THE QUESTION:  We have lots of Macintoshes around here, with paintbrush
programs.  Does anyone know if I can just use THOSE to create a bitmap
file instead?  Or is WP 5.1 particular about it being only from the
PC Paintbrush program?

Thanks for any advice.

--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (05/23/91)

In article <3042@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:

>THE QUESTION:  We have lots of Macintoshes around here, with paintbrush
>programs.  Does anyone know if I can just use THOSE to create a bitmap
>file instead?  Or is WP 5.1 particular about it being only from the
>PC Paintbrush program?

The answer is an ambiguous yes.  Provided with WP5.1 is a TSR program called
GRAB.EXE that will capture the data.  I have used it to capture MAC Paint(?)
graphics that I displayed with a viewer from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  You
would need to get the image on to the screen on your Personal Clone.

There is also another program called GRAPHCNV.EXE which will convert graphic
images to WPG format.  I've used it with pictures created with PC Paint that
came with this idiotic mouse that was acquired by my employer.  Give me a
trackball any day.  Also it can convert AutoCAD DFX (or DXF) files to WPG
format.  Several others it can handle as well.

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to change the palette.  Seems
to be needed on some images to reproduce the colours in the original.

Merton Campbell Crockett

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (05/23/91)

In article <3042@sun13.scri.fsu.edu>, nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
> Well, I've  RTFM'd until I'm blue in the face, and can't figure out
> the answer to this.  So perhaps one of the experts will be good enough
> to give some advice.
>
> [...]
>
> THE QUESTION:  We have lots of Macintoshes around here, with paintbrush
> programs.  Does anyone know if I can just use THOSE to create a bitmap
> file instead?  Or is WP 5.1 particular about it being only from the
> PC Paintbrush program?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Well, maybe it's not in the FM, but if you type `graphcnv /h', you will see
a help message listing MacIntosh paint as one of the acceptable formats to
be converted to *.wpg.  Else, if you can't convert to one of the formats
listed (including postscript and HPGL output files), you might try to take
a look at Simtel20 or some such archive site and check the various graphic
converters.  I think I remember a *.gif to *.wpg converter, if it wasn't part
of some commercial package?

Hope this helps,

Markus G. Fischer, Dept of Anthropology, Geneva CH       fisher@sc2a.unige.ch

waynet@PDaXcess.techbook.com (Wayne Tilton) (05/25/91)

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:

> THE QUESTION:  We have lots of Macintoshes around here, with paintbrush
> programs.  Does anyone know if I can just use THOSE to create a bitmap
> file instead?  Or is WP 5.1 particular about it being only from the
> PC Paintbrush program?

Actually, WP can use most graphic files without converting them to WPG
format.  But, the graphcnv program, documented completely in TFM, can
be used to create WPG files.  Graphics formats currently converted by
graphcnv are:

        o  Autocad .DXF
        o  Computer Graphics Metafiles (CGM)
        o  Dr. Halo
        o  Encapsulated Postscript
        o  GEM .IMG
        o  Hewlett Packard plotter files (HPGL)
        o  Lotus .PIC
        o  Macintosh paint
        o  PC paint and PC paint plus
        o  PC Paintbrush and Publishers Paintbrush .PCX
        o  TIFF format (commonly used by image scanners)

Look under GRAPHCNV.EXE in the index for more details.

Wayne