[comp.os.msdos.apps] DOS 5.0 Pricing Press Release

mwilliams@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (The owls are not what they seem...) (06/12/91)

This message was posted to GEnie today announcing the release of MS-DOS 5.0.
Thought it might be of interest.

Mike W.

Microsoft Announces MS-DOS 5 Upgrade

NEW YORK CITY -- June 11, 1991 -- Microsoft Corporation today announced a
unique and simple purchase program that offers significant discounts for
large sites that want to upgrade 100 percent of their DOS*-based PCs to
Microsoft(R) MS-DOS(R) version 5 with the Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade.  The
program, titled the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program, will allow many
companies to upgrade to MS-DOS 5 for a suggested list price as low as $37
per PC -- significantly less than the suggested retail price of $99.95 or
the Microsoft License Pak price of $79.95.  The program will be
administered by a select group of Microsoft large account resellers.

In addition to the economical benefits of the 100% Program, the customer
doesn't have to store multiple printed licenses and doesn't have to worry
about handling a large amount of packaging material or the extra
documentation involved with many single acquisitions of the MS-DOS 5
Upgrade.

"The MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program makes it easy for companies to upgrade
all of their PCs to MS-DOS 5," said Bill Gates, chairman and CEO of
Microsoft.  "Based on the high interest we've seen, we believe companies
will quickly take advantage of this opportunity."

The program is administered based on a count of 100 percent of DOS-based
PCs located at one or more addresses of the same company.  To qualify for
the program, there must be at least 100 DOS-based PCs among a company's
participating addresses.

The price paid by the company is determined by multiplying the total number
of PCs at the participating addresses by the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program
price offered by authorized resellers.  The suggested retail prices for the
program are as follows:
     o    100-999 machines for $59 per machine;
     o    1,000-4,999 machines for $44 per machine;
     o    5,000 or more machines for $37 per machine.
Having signed the 100% Program agreement, the company receives a single
license to install the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade on any number of DOS-based PCs at
the participating addresses.

Although most PC manufacturers have already committed to shipping MS-DOS 5
with their new machines, the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program still makes it
easy for customers to upgrade machines they may obtain with older versions
of DOS after having entered into the program. Customers can upgrade these
PCs automatically with the MS- DOS 5 Upgrade, without additional charges or
paperwork.

Companies with fewer than 100 PCs or companies that do not wish to purchase
a license for all of their PCs, while not eligible for the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade
100% Program, still have several discount options.  For example, Microsoft
offers a license-only, per-PC agreement -- called the Microsoft License Pak
-- for the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade.  The suggested retail price of the MS-DOS
Upgrade is $79.95.  For either Microsoft License Pak or 100% Program
customers, additional copies of documentation are available from Microsoft
for $20 per copy.

For additional information or the name of the nearest authorized MS-DOS 5
Upgrade 100% Program reseller, customers may call (800) 992-DOS5.

Michael Williams               |                  _   /|    Bill Rules!
                               |                  \'o.O'
University of Arizona, MIS     |     ACK! PTHFT!  =(___)=
mwilliams@mis.arizona.edu      |                     U

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (06/12/91)

  Upgrade alternatives, especially < 100 units

Today's LA Times had the following offers:

COMPUSA (was Softwarehouse)     $ 58.99

EGGHEAD (with instant rebate)   $ 39.99
  (until July 10, 1991)

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (06/13/91)

mwilliams@misvax.mis.arizona.edu wrote:
->
->Microsoft Announces MS-DOS 5 Upgrade
->
->The price paid by the company is determined by multiplying the total number
->of PCs at the participating addresses by the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program
->price offered by authorized resellers.  The suggested retail prices for the
->program are as follows:
->     o    100-999 machines for $59 per machine;
->     o    1,000-4,999 machines for $44 per machine;
->     o    5,000 or more machines for $37 per machine.

this is ridiculous ... individuals can buy the upgrade kit from
EggHead Discount Software for $39 (they make you fill out a
questionnaire for this price ... it has about ten questions on it.)
if you don't fill out the q'aire then you pay $59.

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

mwilliams@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (The owls are not what they seem...) (06/13/91)

In article <ufmyg5qj4a@ads.com>, henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) writes...
>mwilliams@misvax.mis.arizona.edu wrote:
>->
>->Microsoft Announces MS-DOS 5 Upgrade
>->
>->The price paid by the company is determined by multiplying the total number
>->of PCs at the participating addresses by the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade 100% Program
>->price offered by authorized resellers.  The suggested retail prices for the
>->program are as follows:
>->     o    100-999 machines for $59 per machine;
>->     o    1,000-4,999 machines for $44 per machine;
>->     o    5,000 or more machines for $37 per machine.
>
>this is ridiculous ... individuals can buy the upgrade kit from
>EggHead Discount Software for $39 (they make you fill out a
>questionnaire for this price ... it has about ten questions on it.)
>if you don't fill out the q'aire then you pay $59.

I don't writes 'em, I just posts 'em.  ;-)