[comp.os.msdos.apps] DOS 5.0 w/4Dos

douglass@davidsys.com (JEFF (PC) DOUGLASS) (06/13/91)

Ok, so now we have this new slick DOS 5.0.
Now we "Don't need QEMM" to load drivers and TSRs high.

Well, I've just gotten a trial copy of 4Dos v3.02(looks good!),
but the DOS 5.0 loadhigh is internal to COMMAND.COM!

So this means what, boot DOS w/Command, have AUTOEXEC loadhigh
all the TSRs and then run 4Dos?
Seems like a waste of RAM, but I may have missed something.

Of course device drivers are no problem, but running PC/TCP alone
takes over 87K as TSRs.

Naturally, Loadhigh borrowed from Qemm doesn't see DOS5 highmem.

Also, I'd like to be able to move the EMS frame to overlap the BIOS.
I know that the BIOS uses the last 32K, but it's mirrored at f000.
Anyone able to do that?  EMM386 complains when I try frame=e800.
Doing this would yield 32K more UMB space for loadhigh.

Having just over 500K free is nice, but I was hoping for the 600K+
I should get if I could loadhigh AND dump COMMAND.

Helpful comments gratefully received.
Flames scornfully ignored.
--
Jeff (Douglass@DavidSys.Com)  David Systems, Sunnyvale CA,(408)720-8000
    "Never count on the inevitable until it happens. . ."

jhorigan@cook.berkeley.edu (John W. Horigan) (06/14/91)

In article <16648@davidsys.com> douglass@davidsys.com (JEFF (PC) DOUGLASS) writes:

>Ok, so now we have this new slick DOS 5.0.
>Now we "Don't need QEMM" to load drivers and TSRs high.
>
>Well, I've just gotten a trial copy of 4Dos v3.02(looks good!),
>but the DOS 5.0 loadhigh is internal to COMMAND.COM!
>
>So this means what, boot DOS w/Command, have AUTOEXEC loadhigh
>all the TSRs and then run 4Dos?
>Seems like a waste of RAM, but I may have missed something.

What I did was boot up with 4DOS and have a line in my AUTOEXEC
file that called COMMAND.COM with a batch file to load the TSRs:

C:\COMMAND.COM /C LOADTSRS.BAT

You can use the DOS5 LOADHIGH command in LOADTSRS.BAT since it's
read by COMMAND.COM.  This works for me.

John Horigan      jhorigan@cook.berkeley.edu

jmoore@cue.bc.ca (Jono Moore) (06/14/91)

In article <16648@davidsys.com> douglass@davidsys.com (JEFF (PC) DOUGLASS) writes:

>Well, I've just gotten a trial copy of 4Dos v3.02(looks good!),
>but the DOS 5.0 loadhigh is internal to COMMAND.COM!
>
>So this means what, boot DOS w/Command, have AUTOEXEC loadhigh
>all the TSRs and then run 4Dos?
>Seems like a waste of RAM, but I may have missed something.

Get rid of command.com completely by putting "shell=c:\4dos.com /p" in your
config.sys.

--
Jono Moore	jmoore@cue.bc.ca	jono_moore@{mindlink.bc.ca|cc.sfu.ca}

       Member of the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of
        Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/14/91)

Hmm. Yeah, it took me a while to realize that loadhi was an INTERNAL
command. (Gee, no wonder it doesn't work in a 4dos shell!). Unfortunately,
by not including a external executable, you can't load hi
in config.sys. So now were back to QEMM...

Somebody want to try to write dos 5.0 loadhi as an executable?

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/14/91)

Stick  with QEMM.  I couldn't get more than around 610K free using 4DOS
(3.03) and HIMEM.SYS, but was able to get 639.9K free using QEMM (5.13).
This was using QEMM's LOADHI.SYS and LOADHI.COM programs.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/15/91)

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>Stick  with QEMM.  I couldn't get more than around 610K free using 4DOS
>(3.03) and HIMEM.SYS, but was able to get 639.9K free using QEMM (5.13).
>This was using QEMM's LOADHI.SYS and LOADHI.COM programs.

Yes, and on a related note:  (This isn't really a followup; I'm just too
lazy to :post)  Re: DOS 5.0 on a '286.  Yes, it saves you mem iff you
don't use DesqView.  If you do, then it is no gain.  (Since both
programs compete for use of the same High Dos blocks and the HMA)
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)