[comp.os.msdos.apps] Another MSdos 5.0 Problem

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/17/91)

Lantastic's NET attach/verbose command in the startnet.bat file
does not work or report any error when started with MSDOS 5.0 as
the boot os.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/18/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>Lantastic's NET attach/verbose command in the startnet.bat file
>does not work or report any error when started with MSDOS 5.0 as
>the boot os.

Dave, you seem intent on doing "Microsoft bashing".  Why is it
automatically "Another MSdos 5.0 Problem" (to quote your subject
line in the posting)?  Why didn't you use the subject "Apparent
incompatibility between Lantastic and MS-DOS 5.0" ?

How do you know that Lantastic wasn't using some undocumented feature
of earlier MS-DOS versions?  Any software that does that is subject to
breaking when new versions of MS-DOS are released.

Let's not automatically blame Microsoft when these things happen.
In this case you should have called Lantastic to ask if they knew
about any incompatibility problems.  It's very likely that they were
one of the Beta test sites for MS-DOS 5.0 and are therefore already
aware of the problem and probably have an update to fix it.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/18/91)

I guess I should explicitly say that I don't blame Microsoft (or
anybody else, for that matter) for having a problem with dos 5.0.
I made the posting to get an answer to my problem after trying
unsuccessfully to contact MS. I got a solution which, in retrospect,
I feel I should have been able to figure out for
myself.

--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (06/19/91)

Just for the record I'd like to say that I use MS-DOS 5.0 with a LanTastic
network on two machines that I have a home. I use a 286/16 as a file and print
server for my 386/25. Everything works fine on both machines and both machines
use MS-DOS 5.0. I also use Windows 3.0 on my 386/25 and it properly recognizes
all my network connections. No problem!

I don't run Windows on the server because somewhere in a README it says you
shouldn't do it. I can live with that since it's only a server.

I've sent mail to Mr. Feustel asking him to give me a call. I'll try to help
him resolve his problem. If I can't I'll try to steer him to someone who will.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@microsoft.com                                                   arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA