[comp.os.msdos.apps] DOS 5.0 and CD-ROM

wiggins@zodiac.rutgers.edu (06/17/91)

Hi!

I hope someone can help me out. I Just upgraded to DOS 5.0 from DOS 4.01
on my 386SX clone. My problem in a nutshell is that now DOS wont recognize
my CHINON CDS431 CD-ROM drive.

You can attach to the drive, but when you try to perform any IO such as
DIR, DOS returns "Invalid Drive."

The drive worked well under DOS 4.01, and I have changed nothing else besides
the OS. My MS CDROM Extensions are version 2.10. Do I have to upgrade my MSCDX?

Any Help would be much appreciated.

"Press any key to continue, any other key to quit...."
John Wiggins
wiggins@pisces.rutgers.edu

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/18/91)

wiggins@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:

>Hi!

>I hope someone can help me out. I Just upgraded to DOS 5.0 from DOS 4.01
>on my 386SX clone. My problem in a nutshell is that now DOS wont recognize
>my CHINON CDS431 CD-ROM drive.

>You can attach to the drive, but when you try to perform any IO such as
>DIR, DOS returns "Invalid Drive."

>The drive worked well under DOS 4.01, and I have changed nothing else besides
>the OS. My MS CDROM Extensions are version 2.10. Do I have to upgrade my MSCDX?

Yes.  From what I remember, you will have to go back to your CD-ROM hardware
supplier/manufacturer to get an upgrade for the Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

cab3@uafhp.uark.edu (Chad A. Bersche) (06/19/91)

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:

>wiggins@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>
>>Hi!
>
>>I hope someone can help me out. I Just upgraded to DOS 5.0 from DOS 4.01
>>on my 386SX clone. My problem in a nutshell is that now DOS wont recognize
>>my CHINON CDS431 CD-ROM drive.
>
>>You can attach to the drive, but when you try to perform any IO such as
>>DIR, DOS returns "Invalid Drive."
>
>>The drive worked well under DOS 4.01, and I have changed nothing else besides
>>the OS. My MS CDROM Extensions are version 2.10. Do I have to upgrade my MSCDX?
>
>Yes.  From what I remember, you will have to go back to your CD-ROM hardware
>supplier/manufacturer to get an upgrade for the Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions.
>
>--
>Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
>Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
>Australian Defence Force Academy,       UUCP:!uunet!munnari.oz.au!ccadfa.oz!bxw
>Northcott Dr. Campbell ACT Australia 2600  +61 6 268 8584  +61 6 268 8150 (Fax)

I just placed DOS 5.0 on my machine as well running an Amdek CD-ROM.  When I
first tried it under DOS 5.0 it would not access the drive.  This can be easily
remedied by simply running the setver command.  I used the following command
line (while in the same directory as setver):
  setver mscdex.exe 4.01
I chose 4.01 since it worked fine under myu DOS 4.01 version.  You will then
need to install the setver in your config.sys (preferrably one of the first
devices to be loaded) and it should then function as normal (at least mine now
does).  I'd love to get ahold of later CD-ROM extensions, but Amdek has
abandoned the CD-ROM business, and consequently I'm outta luck.

cab3@uafhp.uark.edu  -  Chad A. Bersche  University of Arkansas Fayetteville
Computer Science Engineering
Gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level. - Marvin HHTTG

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (06/19/91)

In article <2441@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au>, bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
> wiggins@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>
>>The drive worked well under DOS 4.01, and I have changed nothing else besides
>>the OS. My MS CDROM Extensions are version 2.10. Do I have to upgrade my MSCDX?
>
> Yes.  From what I remember, you will have to go back to your CD-ROM hardware
> supplier/manufacturer to get an upgrade for the Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions.

Come on Microsoft! Isn't it time that the CD ROM Extensions were provided with
DOS? After all, the file is only 20k in size.
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |