[comp.os.msdos.apps] Mouse Problems with Norton 5.0

jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu (06/15/91)

Hi there,

I am currently using an Microsoft Bus Mouse, circa 1988, on
my 386SX.  The driver (also circa 1988) works fine with WP 5.1
and Windows 3.0, but with Norton 5.0 the whole screen starts glitching
up, which is really annoying.  What is the problem?  Do I need
a new driver?  I'm pretty lost so any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

Jason
jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu

kai@kaiki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (06/18/91)

jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu writes:
> The driver (also circa 1988) works fine with WP 5.1 and Windows 3.0,
> but with Norton 5.0 the whole screen starts glitching up, which is
> really annoying.  What is the problem?  Do I need a new driver?

If You have VGA I suggest to update the mouse driver. Norton 5.0 uses the
textmode but redefines the screenchars to show this mouse arrow.
   Kai Voelcker, Kappelner Str 18, D-2300 Kiel 1, voice: +49 431 335605
   kai@kaiki.toppoint.de    interests: 386asm, c, pascal; OR algorithms

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (06/18/91)

From: ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gail Gurman)

I've had a similar problem and discovered that it was related to my
screen-saver, believe it or not.  The SS was supposedly polling mouse
input.  While in Norton (i.e., NCD) I could click once, but double-clicking
froze my system.

I don't know if your problem is the same, but if you're using a
screen-saver, you might want to try running Norton without it and
see what happens.

Gail

Send mail to:	ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (06/20/91)

jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu writes:

>Hi there,

>I am currently using an Microsoft Bus Mouse, circa 1988, on
>my 386SX.  The driver (also circa 1988) works fine with WP 5.1
>and Windows 3.0, but with Norton 5.0 the whole screen starts glitching
>up, which is really annoying.  What is the problem?  Do I need
>a new driver?  I'm pretty lost so any help would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

>Jason
>jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu

Hmmm...  this is a long shot, but

If you are using a VGA (I'm not sure about behavior on other adapters)
Norton uses a graphical mouse cursor in a VGA *text* mode.  What this
means is that the mouse code in Norton is updating the font (resident)
in graphics memory) dynamically as you move the mouse cursor around
the screen.  This puts a rather heavy load on some VGA adapters,
depending on their memory speed, etc.  You might try just swapping
out your graphics adapter with a different model and see if the
behavior is the same.

Ben

--
Ben Thornton             packet:  wd5hls@wd5hls.ampr.org