[comp.os.msdos.apps] Volume serial number as RUN-TIME protection

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/22/91)

mmccorm@d.cs.okstate.edu (McCormick Martin) writes:

>If you use a version of DOS which is earlier than 4.00, the serial number
>will be copied right along with the rest of the diskette..  If you want
>several disks with the same serial number, just boot your machine with
>DOS 3.2 or 3.3, for example and use the  "DISKCOPY"  program to do the job.

You can't 'DISKCOPY' a hard disk!  The idea is for the RUN-TIME protection
of programs that are installed onto a hard disk.  I DON'T accept the idea of
copy-protection, because at best, it is a means of tricking MS-DOS.  At worst,
it can cause havoc with your file system, including NOT being able to
de-fragment your 'copy-protected' files, or after a disk crash, running the
protected programs after restoration from a disk(ette)/tape backup (something
we should ALL be creating regularly).

I already have it in mind to incorporate this idea into a future release of a
major product that I've helped to develop.  Ofcause, this will limit its use
to those who have MS-DOS 4.xx or later, but with the advent of 5.00 and its
inherrent advantages to the users of 286/386/486 PCs, I don't think that it
will be a problem.  The application requires atleast a 286 PC anyway!

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au