[comp.os.msdos.apps] Problem Installing DOS 5, Part 2

dkrause@miami.acs.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (06/21/91)

The two opinions about my system (Leading Edge Model D) hanging up on
setup were strange video card or old BIOS.  I talked to several people
and since I was able to boot DOS 5 from a floppy and run several pieces
of software I should just install DOS manually.  I did yesterday and
the system boots happily and there are no problems (except for changing
a few parameters).  Now I need to expand all of the compressed files.
Is there a way to avoid typing:

EXPAND FOO.CO_ FOO.COM
DEL FOO.CO_

about 50 times?  How does setup know what the missing letter is on all
of these files?  Does is just "know" and I have a lot of typing to look
forward to?

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@uci.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/22/91)

In article <2861C3C6.19057@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@miami.acs.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:

>The two opinions about my system (Leading Edge Model D) hanging up on
>setup were strange video card or old BIOS.  I talked to several people
>and since I was able to boot DOS 5 from a floppy and run several pieces
>of software I should just install DOS manually.  I did yesterday and
>the system boots happily and there are no problems (except for changing
>a few parameters).  Now I need to expand all of the compressed files.
>Is there a way to avoid typing:
>
>EXPAND FOO.CO_ FOO.COM
>DEL FOO.CO_
>
>about 50 times?  How does setup know what the missing letter is on all
>of these files?  Does is just "know" and I have a lot of typing to look
>forward to?

Copy EXPAND.EXE and all the .co_ files to a temp directory on another
drive. Move to that directory. Type:

for %c in (*.co_) do expand %c c:\dos5\%c
c:
cd\dos5
ren *.co_ *.com

then remove all the .co_ files from youe temp directory, and
repeat this with the .ex_, .sy_, and other extenders.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE: