[comp.os.msdos.apps] MSDOS 5.0 + Win 3, some irregularities?

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (06/22/91)

Hello.

I am running win 3 in enhanced mode under DOS 5.0. My setup exhibits two
"irregularities":

o If I run DOS in a window, and then type in "undelete" to undelete a file,
  the window goes full screen, but works correctly. System seems to be fine,
  and I can alt-enter back to window mode.
o Very often (almost every other time?), win3 will not start! I type in win /3,
  the MS logo comes up, and then the system goes on a coffee break. I can
  normally reboot and try again and it works. This never happened under DOS 3.3
  which I was running before.

I am running hyperdisk 4.20 (shareware version), and have DOS 5.0 loaded into
high memory, along with hyperdisk, doskey, and a mouse driver.

Can anyone recreate either symptom? The first one should be easy to check out.

Thanks for any info.

Milan
.

hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) (06/24/91)

> Hello.

> I am running win 3 in enhanced mode under DOS 5.0. My setup exhibits two
> "irregularities":

> o If I run DOS in a window, and then type in "undelete" to undelete a file,
>   the window goes full screen, but works correctly. System seems to be fine,
>   and I can alt-enter back to window mode.
I just verified this. I think that undelete, for safety, forces the
system into "exclusive" mode, which implies full screen.

> o Very often (almost every other time?), win3 will not start! I type in win /3,
>   the MS logo comes up, and then the system goes on a coffee break. I can
>   normally reboot and try again and it works. This never happened under DOS 3.3
>   which I was running before.

> I am running hyperdisk 4.20 (shareware version), and have DOS 5.0 loaded into
> high memory, along with hyperdisk, doskey, and a mouse driver.

I'd suspect hyperdisk myself. Have you tried using Smartdrive instead?
I know it is probably not as good, but it was designed to work in this
environment.

--

        -- jwh