[comp.os.msdos.apps] FILES>15 for windows and DOS 5.0

travis@eecs.nwu.edu (Travis Marlatte) (06/26/91)

I have seen the question several times, but have not yet seen the solution
posted. Excuse me, if I am posting old information.

In Windows running under DOS 5.0, and with FILES set to some small number,
like 10, Windows will not be able to execute any non-windows programs. I
set my FILES to 15 or 20 and the problem goes away.

Travis

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/26/91)

travis@eecs.nwu.edu (Travis Marlatte) writes:

>I have seen the question several times, but have not yet seen the solution
>posted. Excuse me, if I am posting old information.

>In Windows running under DOS 5.0, and with FILES set to some small number,
>like 10, Windows will not be able to execute any non-windows programs. I
>set my FILES to 15 or 20 and the problem goes away.

The Windows manual says in effect that 30 is the minimum usable value for
FILES= in CONFIG.SYS.  See page 517 of the Windows manual:

"With a value below 30, Windows and applications might not run."

Joe Morris