[comp.os.msdos.apps] PCTools 6.0 and Smartdrv.sys

msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (06/21/91)

One quick question, then it's off to Diff. Eq. (ACK BARF SNORT)

Does anybody out there know if the smart drive disk cache that comes with
WINDOW$ 3.0 will have any dangerous interactions with PCTools Compress disk?

Should I boot off a floppy that just boots DO$ and nothing else?  Or, should
I not worry?

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (and other places)

larry@birdsong.Suvl.CA.US (Lawrence T. Hardiman) (06/26/91)

msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

> One quick question, then it's off to Diff. Eq. (ACK BARF SNORT)
>
> Does anybody out there know if the smart drive disk cache that comes with
> WINDOW$ 3.0 will have any dangerous interactions with PCTools Compress disk?
>
> Should I boot off a floppy that just boots DO$ and nothing else?  Or, should
> I not worry?
>
> msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (and other places)

The PC Tools documentation says that their compress will work with their
own Disk Cache. That you should NOT use disk cache programs with
compress. Further, you should not use compress with any program
that
internalizes physical disk addresses.
This suggests that DOS FASTOPEN should not be used with compress.

From "Data Recovery and System Utilities", page 144.

   "Disk-caching programs other than PC- Cache MUST be removed from
    memory before you use Compress."

The emphasis on the MUST is theirs!

+-- Lawrence T. Hardiman --+-- larry@birdsong.Suvl.CA.US -----------------+
| The Birdsong Company     |                                              |
| POBox 2031		   | If it hasn't been tested, it won't work!     |
| Sunnyvale, CA 94087-2031 |   		                                  |