[comp.os.msdos.apps] reading E-mail on a PC

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (06/25/91)

After I quit my job at the University, and started working full-time on my own
software, I am in the unfortunate situation of having to pay for my E-mail
use :-)

What I would like to do is to read (and reply to) my mail from my own DOS
computer, so I do not have to log into the Unix machine, thus reducing my
connection charges.

I have my computer hooked to the Unix machine over a serial line, but I
could connect it to the University network as well.

I know of several programs for doing this, some free, some shareware, and
I assume there are some commercial programs as well, but I would like some
recommendations - just send them to me directly, I will post a summary if
there is any interest.

The best solution would probably be just to get my own Unix box, but right
now I am looking for a less expensive solution...

-frisk

larry@birdsong.Suvl.CA.US (Lawrence T. Hardiman) (06/26/91)

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

> After I quit my job at the University, and started working full-time on my ow
> software, I am in the unfortunate situation of having to pay for my E-mail
> use :-)
>
> What I would like to do is to read (and reply to) my mail from my own DOS
> computer, so I do not have to log into the Unix machine, thus reducing my
> connection charges.
>
> I have my computer hooked to the Unix machine over a serial line, but I
> could connect it to the University network as well.
>
> I know of several programs for doing this, some free, some shareware, and
> I assume there are some commercial programs as well, but I would like some
> recommendations - just send them to me directly, I will post a summary if
> there is any interest.
>
> The best solution would probably be just to get my own Unix box, but right
> now I am looking for a less expensive solution...
>
> -frisk

This post originated from an MS-DOS machine.  The software is called
Waffle. The release is 1.64.  This is one fine piece of shareware!

Waffle will connect, uucp style, with most any machine that speaks
uucp. It does netnews and email.  It works for me.

You may get waffle from it's author, Tom Dell.  Send him mail at

  waffle@darkside.com

Ask for current terms and conditions.

I have no financial interest in Waffle, other than having paid Tom
Dell his registration fee.

+-- Lawrence T. Hardiman --+-- larry@birdsong.Suvl.CA.US -----------------+
| The Birdsong Company     |                                              |
| POBox 2031		   | If it hasn't been tested, it won't work!     |
| Sunnyvale, CA 94087-2031 |   		                                  |