[net.ham-radio] calling party ID

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (01/17/86)

In article <8601140621.AA12258@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> telecom@ucbvax.UUCP writes:
>> In Los Angeles, emergency calls to 911 show up with the caller's address
>> and phone number at a CRT.  What kind of set up is used here?
>Systems and AT&T Technologies).  One of the great benefits to be derived from
>standardization is that Enhanced 911 will eventually be available everywhere,
>with calls routed to the PROPER public safety agency for the address of the
>calling party; i.e., the telephone company data base will determine to which
>public service agency the call should be routed.  Under these circumstances,
>a central office will no longer be an arbitrary boundary for the public safety
>agency answering 911 calls - which is only proper, since a given central office
>will often serve more than one political subdivision.
>
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==

An interesting aspect of this is related to mobile phones. What is the
PROPER public safety agency for mobile phones? Enhanced 911 was recently
installed in Phoenix, and we discovered that when we called it from our
Ham Radio Autopatch system, the operators sometimes would not believe us
because we reported incidents 20 miles from the "originating address"! With
the increased sales of cellular phones, this problem will increase.
	The solution used in Phoenix is to program those numbers into the
system so that they show up as "mobile", and to route them to the
county sherrif's office rather than the jurisdiction of the "originating
address".
	Another problem is that 911 operators often read back the number
calling. Our autopatch numbers are secret to prevent people from dialing
them and tying up the system.
	Oh well...

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john