[comp.os.msdos.apps] PC Tools V7

<JGF1@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/15/91)

I downloaded this from Central Points BBS:

For more information contact:
-
Central Point Software, Inc.
Deanne Berry, 503/690-2650
-
Waggener Edstrom
-                    For Immediate Release
Jody Peake, 503/245-0905
-
-
Central Point Unveils PC Tools 7.0
Includes Windows Applications and Extensive Network Support
-
     BEAVERTON, Ore. -- May 6, 1991 -- Central Point Software today
announced PC ToolsTM 7.0, a major new release of PC Tools that
includes more than a dozen new utilities and more than 80
significant enhancements to existing functions.  In addition to
providing three new Windows 3.0 applications and enhanced network
utilities, PC Tools 7.0 includes Central Point CommuteTM and
Central Point BackupTM 7.0, stand-alone products also announced
today by the company.
     "With the rapidly increasing use of LANs, the trend toward
graphical environments, and the growing role of laptop computers in
today's business world, computing environments are getting more and
more complex," said Corey Smith, president of Central Point
Software.  "PC Tools 7.0, with its greatly increased feature set,
provides users the most complete set of utilities with which to
extend the capabilities of their computing platform."
     PC Tools 7.0 is the only fully integrated PC utilities product
which provides programs that protect data, simplify computer
operation and enhance system performance.  The functionality of PC
Tools has been extended to support the Windows environment,
increase network capabilities and include a number of global
features that enhance ease of use.
-
-
Windows Applications
     PC Tools 7.0 includes three Windows 3.0 applications.  Windows
Backup provides all the power and functionality of the company's
stand-alone backup product, including the ability to run in the
background and complete data and keystroke compatibility between
the DOS backup and the Windows backup programs.  Windows Undelete
reliably recovers any deleted file, and Windows Launcher initiates
any Windows or DOS application directly from the Windows 3.0 system
menu.
     "Corporations are looking for cost-effective ways to ease the
transition of users from DOS to Windows," said Smith.  "By
including fully compatible DOS and Windows utilities in PC Tools
7.0, we're offering corporations with both environments a
simplified migration path that minimizes the training costs
associated with buying separate DOS and Windows applications."
-
Network Support
     PC Tools 7.0 includes a number of enhancements to the network
support found in PC Tools Deluxe 6.0.  Undelete enables users to
recover deleted files on network drives, and FileFind provides full
Novell NetWare attribute support for locating network files.  The
remote-computing and virus-protection utilities both operate
network-wide.
     The System Information program now includes extensive
reporting of more than 160 system and  network parameters,
simplifying network maintenance, diagnostics and monitoring.  Files
on any network drive can be password-protected automatically, and
a workgroup scheduler enables network users to coordinate
appointment scheduling.
-
Global Features and Enhancements
     A new Windows-like graphical user interface throughout the DOS
applications, eases use of and access to PC Tools' components.
This user interface is among the product's most significant
enhancements, dramatically improving the "look and feel" of PC
Tools 7.0 compared to previous versions.  In addition, icons and
PIF files have been added for running all PC Tools' components from
within Windows.
     In addition to the Application Menu System (described below),
PC Tools 7.0 provides full DOS command-line accessibility to all
functions and switches, a new context-sensitive hypertext help
system, and a "smart" install program that allows users to choose
which utilities to install and will preview the memory and disk
storage requirements for these choices.  PC Config, a new utility,
provides comprehensive control over color, mouse speed and use,
display options and keyboard repeat rate.
-
New Utilities and Functions
     In addition to the Windows applications, PC Tools 7.0
integrates more than 10 new utilities into the product,
including:
-
Virus Protection: provides automatic virus detection on local and
network drives; detects more than 600 known viruses and scans for
unknown viruses.
-
FileFix: repairs damaged or corrupted dBASE, Lotus 1-2-3 (including
version 3.1) and Symphony files; restores all functionality of
these files.
-
Application Menu System: provides quick and intuitive access to all
PC Tools components and other DOS applications from a configurable,
cascading menu system; includes password protection and a
descriptive-text window accompanying each application menu.
-
Commute: a remote-computing utility that provides remote access and
file transfer for Windows and DOS applications via LAN, modem or
direct connections.
-
Wipe: permanently erases individual files or entire disks to U. S.
Department of Defense  standards.
-
Data Monitor: a memory-resident (TSR) component that manages five
new security TSRs -- delete protection, screen blanker, directory
lock, write protection and disk light.
-
Enhanced Utilities and Functions
     PC Tools 7.0 incorporates more than 80 significant
enhancements to existing utilities and functions, including:
-
DiskFix: includes low-level reformatting, which offers a
non-destructive refresh of hard or floppy disk surface, and
hard-disk interleave tuning, which tests hard disks to analyze disk
controller and, where possible, optimizes "interleave" to maximize
drive performance; provides Undo feature and command line options.
-
FileFind: provides more than 35 viewers that enable viewing of
files in their native formats, including new viewers for Quattro
Pro and Lotus 1-2-3 3.X; checks for duplicate file names across a
disk.
-
Undelete: recovers deleted files on a local PC or network drive,
with file viewing in native format prior to undeletion.  Includes
Delete SentryTM, which secures deleted files against overwriting,
assuring full recovery even on network drives.
-
System Information: provides extensive reporting of over 160 system
and network parameters, including information on network usage,
servers and speed; one of the best examples of the ease-of-use and
information-access benefits of the new interface.
-
Directory Maintenance: displays network rights and attributes for
network files in a highly graphical format; allows prune and graft
across drives, including network directories or branches while
maintaining Novell rights.
-
Compress: includes file and directory sorting and additional
compression methods; compresses up to 10,000 files in one
operation.
-
     All the TSR components of PC Tools 7.0, including Desktop and
PC ShellTM, can be loaded into high memory.  The Desktop component
includes a new automated process for sending and receiving
electronic mail messages that supports MCI, CompuServe and
EasyLink.  PC Shell can now copy groups of files or large files
onto multiple disks, prompting the user when additional disks are
needed.
-
Price and Availability
     PC Tools 7.0 will be available in May for a suggested retail
price of $179 through major software distributors and resellers in
the U.S. and Canada.  Through July 31, 1991, registered users of
all prior versions of PC Tools will be able to upgrade to PC Tools
7.0 for $49 plus shipping and handling.  Users of competitive
products, with proof of ownership, can trade up to PC Tools 7.0 for
$59 plus shipping and handling through August 31, 1991.
     Customers in North America can call 800-445-4208 for
additional product information and for details on upgrade and
trade-up offers.
-
-
System Requirements
     PC Tools 7.0 runs on IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2 or 100 percent
compatibles with DOS 3.0 or higher and 640K of RAM; the Windows
applications require Microsoft Windows 3.0 or higher and 2MB of
RAM.  A hard disk is required.  PC Tools 7.0 supports Microsoft
Mouse drivers version 6.14 or higher, Logitech/Dexxa mouse drivers
version 3.4x or higher or 100 percent compatibles.  Connects with
Hayes-compatible modems and supports NetWare 2.15 and above, and
NetWare 386.
-
     Central Point Software, Inc., headquartered in Beaverton, is
the leading developer of utility software and offers a broad line
of utility products for DOS, Windows and Macintosh platforms.
Since it was founded in 1981, the company has grown to more than
300 employees, and its installed base of registered users now
numbers more than one million.  Central Point's products are
translated into several languages and are available in more than 25
countries.
-
-
# # #
-
Central Point Software, PC Tools, Central Point Commute, Central
Point Backup, Delete Sentry and PC Shell are trademarks of Central
Point Software, Inc.  Other product names mentioned herein are used
for identification purposes only and may or may not be trademarks
or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
-
-

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) (05/31/91)

I just ordered my upgrade, and the sales rep said she didn't know
when pct7 would start shipping, but the product is in the last
stages of beat testing.  Does anyone have any other info on when
these puppies will ship?

--
Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     suro@ucsd.edu

baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca (The Bald Eagle) (05/31/91)

In article <19940@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) writes:
>I just ordered my upgrade, and the sales rep said she didn't know
>when pct7 would start shipping, but the product is in the last
>stages of beat testing.  Does anyone have any other info on when
>these puppies will ship?
A store here in Ottawa (that is in Ontario, Canada) had an ad in the paper
yesterday, and in it was PCTools V7 selling for about $135 Canadian.
So my guess is that the product is out at the present time.

Andre

--
uucp: micor!baldy        internet:  baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca

The Bald Eagle strikes again!
God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (06/01/91)

There is a multipage ad in InfoWorld offering PCTools V7 to anyone for
$59 + $6 s/h + tax. This is a limited time offer. The phone number is
1-800-445-4162.

I ordered yesterday. The rep said that they would ship on June 5th.

- Carl
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (06/01/91)

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>There is a multipage ad in InfoWorld offering PCTools V7 to anyone for
>$59 + $6 s/h + tax. This is a limited time offer. The phone number is
>1-800-445-4162.

And they won't charge you after the 60-day trial period.  Offered until 7/31.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu      ..!ucla-cs!chao

f18@clark.edu (Torry V Schreiner) (06/02/91)

In article <kadie.675711110@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>There is a multipage ad in InfoWorld offering PCTools V7 to anyone for
>$59 + $6 s/h + tax. This is a limited time offer. The phone number is
>1-800-445-4162.
>
>I ordered yesterday. The rep said that they would ship on June 5th.
>
>- Carl
>--
>Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

that's if you send proof of ownership for PC Tools V6 or Norton's or something
like that.

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.041903.3178@clark.edu> f18@clark.edu (Torry V Schreiner) writes:
>that's if you send proof of ownership for PC Tools V6 or Norton's or something
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
>like that.

Hmmm... I got mine for $49 upgrade.  What's this $59 for PCT6 owners
for?
--

douglas@nosc.mil (Douglas Dickerson) (06/03/91)

f18@clark.edu (Torry V Schreiner) writes:

>In article <kadie.675711110@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>>There is a multipage ad in InfoWorld offering PCTools V7 to anyone for
>>$59 + $6 s/h + tax. This is a limited time offer. The phone number is
>>1-800-445-4162.
>>
>>I ordered yesterday. The rep said that they would ship on June 5th.
>>
>>- Carl
>>--
>>Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

>that's if you send proof of ownership for PC Tools V6 or Norton's or something
>like that.

Not true.  In the May 27th PCWeek, PCTools has a 4-page ad offering V7 for
$59+$6 until July 31, and they will not cash your check or charge your credit
card until the 71st day after shipment.

In the same issue, Norton has a 2-page ad offering Utilities 5.0 for $59+$5
until June 30 if you send the title page from your Mace Utilities or PC Tools
product manual.

Douglas Dickerson
douglas@gandalf.nosc.mil

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (06/03/91)

>Hmmm... I got mine for $49 upgrade.  What's this $59 for PCT6 owners
>for?
>--
>Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu

Last Friday, I received an upgrade offer based on owning PCT V. 6 for only
$49.  I plan to take advantage "real soon now."

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (06/28/91)

Got mine last night and it takes a LONG time to install, though the
install program does do it right.  I am a bit concerned in light of
the info on Compu$erve, but so far have had no trouble.  BTW, the
undelete function seems to run about 10 times slower than the old one,
but that is a minor complaint.

My bigger concern is that you always get Desktop if you install the
shell.  The reason (I dug it out after twice trying to figure out why
install didn't obey me  :-) is that the editor in the Desktop is the
one used by PC Shell to edit files.  That's a bit of a bummer, since
the desktop takes up around 2MB of rather valuable disk real estate
at my place.  Has anyone found a work-around to that problem?  (I
don't typically use the desktop since I have the same features in other
products...).

Thanks in advance

Lou Anschuetz, temngt23@ysu.edu