[comp.os.msdos.apps] Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with PC Tools 7.0?

todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) (06/27/91)

Hi.  I've been reading lots of bad reviews of Central Point's
PC Tools 7.0 and I'm getting worried.  I ordered the upgrade
throught their 1-800 phone line last week and so there might
still be time for me to cancel the order.

I know the USENET has a way of attracting people's NEGATIVE
comments and sometimes it's hard to get the full picture.
If anybody out there has 7.0 and has installed it and has
something GOOD to say about it, please just drop a quick line
saying you like it.  Compared to all the bad press I've seen
on this newsgroup, even a "yes, it works just like advertised"
would be a good review.

Version 6.0 has been so useful to me that I'd hate to pay $60
for the upgrade if it's a step in the wrong direction.

Todd.

--
Todd Bradley (extension AXE)         Disclaimers are for wimps who have
Supreme Ruler of The Galaxy          some sort of job security.

akm@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (06/28/91)

In article <814@pvi.UUCP> ncar!pvi!todd() writes:

>Hi.  I've been reading lots of bad reviews of Central Point's
>PC Tools 7.0 and I'm getting worried.  I ordered the upgrade
>throught their 1-800 phone line last week and so there might
>still be time for me to cancel the order.

I was considering exercising my 30-day money back option, but have now
decided against it. I have a 'vague' notion that I am satisfied with
the product/price (I upgraded) , and will try and be concrete, but
will likely mention some negative things...

Its probably important to start off by saying that I use win 3.0 most
of the time, and PC Tools has hooks that let a number of features work
with windows. Not as good as having real windows apps, but getting
there. I also use DOS 5.0

I *like* the delete tracking abilities of DataMon, which can either
stick all the files you delete into a hidden directory, or can keep a
list of files you delete, hopefully allowing you to recover them. The
drawback is that it takes a while pouring through the documentation to
learn how to set the various options. DataMon is a TSR which is
compatible with windows, through a TSR manager, and works with the
windows version of undelete.

As a result, the undelete in windows is nice... The virus detector
also apparently works with windows (no virus reports yet, so I dunno),
as well as the schudeler, which I don't use.

The system information and memory information are good. I use DOS 5,
and MI helps me decide what order to load things high etc to make the
best use of space.

PC Cache seems to speed things up, but no numbers to prove it.

I am excited about Commute, which supposedly will allow me to  control
a PC remotedly, but I don't have the hardware to try it out yet. It is
supposed to work under windows, but, without trying it, I can't say.

Vdefend, a program that scans *every* .exe that you run for known
viruses slows things down considerably. This might be due to my
machine (386, 20Mhz, 2:1 MFM controller), but I doubt it. Windows
takes approximately 3 times as long to load when I have Vdefend
running.

Compress (disk optimization) works very fast, though I am not sure
that I can get it to optimize as well as DOG. It does not appear as
configurable.

On the down side...

The documentation is confusing. There are a number of manuals, V 6.0
had only three. I *think* that v7.0 has about 8. The documentation is
also incomplete, with the information about a number of command line
options available only by typing <command>/?. The Docs include a file
list that is both incomplete as well as poorly organzed. (or maybe I
think it is incomplete because it is poorly organized...)

The docs also do not mention Dos 5.0 at all, which I think was a bad
decision because Dos 5.0 uses a bunch of Central Point things, such as
mirror, and delete tracking. I would like to be able to tell which
features are enhanced, as a result of which features of DOS 5.0 I can
get rid of. I have been able to do that, but with info from trade rags
and the net.

The user interface is poorly designed/implemented. This appears to
have been caused by trying to use a Windows like UI, and not having
something like windows to take care of the window managing. So, I have
problems like not being sure which OK button to click on (and at
points in PCConfig you get three), because they are all the same
color.
	Scrolling with the mouse is terrible. The scroll bar works
like an absolute positioner, so if you click in it, the thumb is moved
to where you clicked, not page up or page down as in Windows/Mac. This
is very irritating, specially if you are looking at, say, a long file
list. This also means that they keyboard interface is inconsistent
with the mouse interface. Finally (vis-a-vis scrolling), if you hold
down on a up/down button in the scroll bar, viewing something big (say
a long file in viewer), the scrolling is so fast that control is very
difficult.

The window implementation is quirky. If you setup things so that the
file list show size, date etc, the file windows will often not show
you the details of the last couple of files (files in the last
column), and no amount of scroll bar manipulation will get you there.
The only way to see the info for the last couple of files is to make
sure that your window size is an exact multiple of the size that the
info of one file is. This is obviously irritating, and often not
practicable.

The support for mice (or at least my mouse, Logitech, running the
driver v5.0) is poor. In a number of cases, when I run another PCTools
program from within PCShell, I can't get the mouse down to the menu
bar across the end. I *think* it consistently stops three lines from
the bottom, but I am not sure of this. Note that the shell can run in
a number of screen sizes, from 25 lines to 50 with VGA, and 60 with
some brand of card (can't remember which one). In addition, a number
of times when I start up PCShell, the mouse is very slow, and I have
to run PCConfig to get it back up to speed. The manuals say that the
problem is with older versions of the mouse driver, and recommend 3.4
or better for Logitech, but I have 5.00.

Mouse selection is inconsistent. At times, I can select a file by
clicking on the icon for the file, sometimes, it only works when I
click on the file name. At least once, it would not select a file at
all. Mouse selection is also slow, so you can click in a window, think
that the focus of control has moved, go to the file menu, say you want
to delete a file, find the file was not deleted, delete again, and
then find that the delete was actually working in your program list
because the focus of control did not switch, and you've deleted most
of the things from your program list. This has happened to me twice
(and I thought I'd learnt the first time...), and could have been
avoided by using a different menu name for the program list (not
File).

My conclusion is that PC Tools v7 is a good product, but has a quirky
interface. I am willing to live with the quirks... I've finally
deleted a number of my favourite utilities because I get them in
PCTOOLS. Of course, I have delete protection turned on, so I can get
them back... :-)

Others might be happy with DOS 5.0, which provides many of the
features. The new version of Notron's Utilities might also be an
answer...

hope this helps,

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

martell@ucs.ubc.ca (Jonn Martell) (06/29/91)

In article <814@pvi.UUCP> ncar!pvi!todd() writes:

>I know the USENET has a way of attracting people's NEGATIVE
>comments and sometimes it's hard to get the full picture.
>If anybody out there has 7.0 and has installed it and has
>something GOOD to say about it, please just drop a quick line

We just received V.7.01 from Central Point.  We are currently testing it and
we will let you know how it goes.  Central Point has been slow in sending
the updates (I am sure that they don't want to lose market share) - the 7.01
version probably solves most of the bugs.

The disks don't mention 7.01 (only the shipping bill does).  The creation
date for the files are 06/09/91 and some files have 06/11/91 (just two weeks
ago!)

I wouldn't let the bug news worry too many people.  The product was rushed
(most are these days).  CP seems to be something about it.
--
Jonn Martell - PC Support Centre - University Computing Services
University of British Columbia - 6356 Agricultural Rd. Vancouver BC V7T 1H1