[comp.os.msdos.misc] Microsoft's XMS spec

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (07/12/90)

In the neverending quest for a use for my extended memory, I have
chanced upon Microsoft's package for XMS - a supposed standard for
using extended memory.

It looks pretty nifty to program, including an extra 64k segment for
free if you know where to ask for it.

However, do any applications use it? I am aware that 4DOS 3.0 will
swap into XMS, and that this even works.. Any other programs take
advantage of it?

Is it possible to get XMS and vdisk.sys to coexist? The documentation
says no. Is there a RAMdisk program out there for extended memory that
will coexist with XMS?

Thanks..

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (07/12/90)

In article <15173@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar) writes:

>In the neverending quest for a use for my extended memory, I have
>chanced upon Microsoft's package for XMS...

>However, do any applications use it?

>... Is there a RAMdisk program out there for extended memory that
>will coexist with XMS?

This XMS spec is the basis for himem.sys (the latest version of which is
shipped with windows 3.0).  The disk cache program smartdrv.sys and the
ram disk program ramdrive.sys, which ship with windows 3.0, both are
compatible with XMS.  I understand that there is a working group of
protected mode product houses who are (have?) modifying(ed) the XMS spec
so that various protected mode products (ala Windows 3.0 in standard or
extended mode, QEMM, etc.) can work together in the same system.

rdu@cbnewsk.att.com (ranjan.dutta) (07/13/90)

In article <15173@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar) writes:

>In the neverending quest for a use for my extended memory, I have
>
>However, do any applications use it? I am aware that 4DOS 3.0 will
>swap into XMS, and that this even works.. Any other programs take

If you have 386 machine, try Quaterdeck's QEMM386. It
comes with loadhi.com and loadhi.sys that let you load
device drivers and TSRs in the high memory. Also, it is
totally transparent as far as memory allocation is
concerned. You could use ramdrives with it.

Ranjan

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/14/90)

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) writes:

>In the neverending quest for a use for my extended memory, I have
>chanced upon Microsoft's package for XMS - a supposed standard for
>using extended memory.

>It looks pretty nifty to program, including an extra 64k segment for
>free if you know where to ask for it.

>However, do any applications use it? I am aware that 4DOS 3.0 will
>swap into XMS, and that this even works.. Any other programs take
>advantage of it?

>Is it possible to get XMS and vdisk.sys to coexist? The documentation
>says no. Is there a RAMdisk program out there for extended memory that
>will coexist with XMS?

MS Windows 3 uses XMS. And it comes with a RAM disk which uses XMS.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/15/90)

In article <15173@reed.UUCP>, minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) writes:

> [stuff deleted]  I am aware that 4DOS 3.0 will
> swap into XMS, and that this even works.. Any other programs take
> advantage of it?

I am not able to get my 4DOS to swap under MS HIMEN.SYS xms manager, although
it works great with 386MAX, but Windows 3.0 won't work with 386MAX and requires
HIMEM.SYS.

> Is it possible to get XMS and vdisk.sys to coexist? The documentation
> says no. Is there a RAMdisk program out there for extended memory that
> will coexist with XMS?

Microsoft recommends in the documentation that came with Windows 3.0, that
MS RAMDRIVE.SYS be used with HIMEM.SYS.  Both of these came with my ver 4.01
MS DOS, however, the versions which come with Windows 3.0 are later.

-- cj

pasquale@sgl (Pasquale Leone) (07/17/90)

    Many have complained that their program that can use XMS memory
won't work under mswindows 3.0's HIMEM.SYS . This is because windows 3.0
and the new himem.sys does not comply with the XMS (eXtended Memory Spec)
as originally set out by microsoft and as used by MANY other companies.
(Desqview, Rational Systems, 4dos, etc)
They seem to think they can force everybody out of business by setting a
new incompatible "standard".

For those of you who want to know what programs use XMS mem here are some
Desqview, (it uses the first 64kbyte)
any program that uses a dos extender like
                                                   the new LOTUS123,
          MathLAB286 or 386,
          most pcboard routing packages,
          XILINX programmable gate array developement software,
Vdisk.sys?  (mine seems to work fine under an XMS driver like QEXT.SYS)

Note that there are many,many programs that fall into the middle group
and will NOT run under the new windows 3.0 because of the change to the spec.
They WILL run under Desqview flawlessly. I know, I do it.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/17/90)

In article <10502@ists.ists.ca>, pasquale@sgl (Pasquale Leone) wrote:
}For those of you who want to know what programs use XMS mem here are some
}[...]

Add Turbo Debugger 286 v2.0 to that list.
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: 1:129/3.1

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (07/17/90)

In article <430@beartrk.beartrack.com> cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:

>I am not able to get my 4DOS to swap under MS HIMEN.SYS xms manager, although
>it works great with 386MAX, but Windows 3.0 won't work with 386MAX and requires
>HIMEM.SYS.

    There is a way to run Windows 3.0 under 386MAX - use window's 'r' switch
to make it operate in real mode.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (07/18/90)

In article <10502@ists.ists.ca> pasquale@sgl.ists.ca (Pasquale Leone) writes:

>    Many have complained that their program that can use XMS memory
>won't work under mswindows 3.0's HIMEM.SYS . This is because windows 3.0
>and the new himem.sys does not comply with the XMS (eXtended Memory Spec)
>as originally set out by microsoft and as used by MANY other companies.
>(Desqview, Rational Systems, 4dos, etc)
>They seem to think they can force everybody out of business by setting a
>new incompatible "standard".

This is a needless flame.  The new HIMEM.SYS is, I believe, compatible
with DPMI, the DOS Protected Mode Interface standard.  Microsoft has worked
with a number of other companies to hammer out a spec that will be open
for everyone.  (I don't have the list handy, but I remember that both
Quarterdeck and Rational Systems were on the DPMI committee.)

It's true that the DPMI standard is different from the old DOS extender
standards (like VCPI).  Microsoft took a lot of criticism for this.  But
as far as I can tell it was an honest desire to make better software
(crashing less often) behind this.  Gordon Letwin posted a long and
detailed explanation of why VCPI had to go, and why DPMI is better and
worthwhile; I wish I had kept a copy.

I am not a systems guru and there may be another reason behind this
change to HIMEM.SYS.  It could even be a screw-up by someone at Microsoft.
But I know it is not an attempt to force anyone out of business.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|