[comp.os.msdos.misc] Help with Kermit using COM3

ks336514@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Keith Schwols) (07/17/90)

----

Help!  I just bought a new 2400 baud modem from Jameco.  I tried
installing it in my
machine at COM3.  When I bring up Kermit (3.01) and set port to com3, I
get the message that the modem was not found and bios3 will be used
instead.  I have a shareware copy of procomm that came with the modem
and it seems to work fine.  The problem is that I like kermit and want
to keep using it.  My hardware is a Gateway
20Mhz '386 and I have a multi-IO card which is com1 and com2 already.
Has anybody had a similiar problem?  How did you fix it?  Any help would
be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------>   Keith Schwols (ks336514@longs.lance.colostate.edu)
  |\/\/\/|
  |      |
  |      |
  | (o)(o)
  C      _)   Program Butt-Naked, Dude!
   | ,___|
  /____\

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (07/18/90)

In article <7937@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ks336514@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Keith Schwols) writes:
>machine at COM3.  When I bring up Kermit (3.01) and set port to com3, I
>get the message that the modem was not found and bios3 will be used

Kermit is checking the COM3 port addr stored at 40:4, and not finding it.
This is a common problem.  You could use debug to store COM3's addr manually,
or check the MS-Kermit docs for the short DEBUG script to create a program
to do it for you, or better yet, look in comp.binaries.ibm.pc for the
34instal posting.

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh